Saturday Morning Science Summer Research Reimagined 2022 is a robust, interactive virtual summer research program that will be available to all SMS Students (including current SMS students, students who have previously participated in SMS, and students new to SMS). This interactive Summer Research Program will not only cover Intro to research basics (experimental design, lab safety, data analysis), but also will feature invited researchers from BCM and around the country, a scientific journal club, small group interactions, and guided “hands-on” virtual experiences. This program will not disappoint and will equip students with a subset of skills that will surely contribute to their future studies and careers! Students will receive a certificate if they successfully complete the program.
Once accepted into the program, students will receive a detailed schedule.
Program Key Points
- All components of the program will be virtual
- Students will not receive a stipend for participation in this virtual Summer Research Program.
- The time commitment will likely be ~8-12 hours per week (spread across a number of days, with ~4-6 hours face to face virtual interactive activities and the remainder spent in self-guided activities).
- Because the program is virtual, there is flexibility with self-guided activities but the virtual guided activities will have a fixed time. Recordings will be available if students are unable to attend, though live participation is encouraged due to the interactive nature of the program.
What are the dates of SMS Summer Research Reimagined 2022?
This year’s program will take place from Saturday, July 2, 2022 through Saturday, July 30, 2022. Unlike the SMS programs that take place during the school year, SMS Summer Research Reimagined has sessions that will occur on weekdays in addition to the Saturday sessions (for example, small group, career development and some virtual experiment sessions will occur on weekdays). Students must attend 75% of the sessions to receive credit for the program (estimated ~three 2 hour sessions per week).
What makes me eligible for the Summer Research Program?
- Be entering 6th grade – college freshman (at start of Fall 2022 school year
- Be committed to attend and actively participate in a minimum of 75% of the sessions
How do I apply?
In order to be considered for the Summer Research Program, you must submit ALL of the following in one application packet no later than the deadline set for applications.
- A statement outlining your career goals and interest in the SMS Summer Research Reimagined program. This should be no-longer than ½ page, but can be as short as 2-3 sentences. The statement should include what you hope to gain from a program like SMS that may not be offered by your school.
The application must be completed no later than June 20, 2022 via the online application portal. We are unable to accept any late submissions.
Selected candidates will be notified of acceptance by June 24, 2022.
For questions about the program or about the application process, contact SaturdayMorningScience@bcm.edu.