Admissions for Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Training
The Department of Anesthesiology at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center plays an active role in the development and maturation of critical care medicine as a subspecialty. The Critical Care Medicine fellowship is an ACGME-accredited one-year program, which offers further advanced training in perioperative critical care medicine in one of the country’s best medical centers. Core rotations for the fellowship include the surgical intensive care unit (SICU), the medical intensive care unit (MICU), thoracic surgical ICU (TSICU), neurologic/neurology ICU (NICU), cardiovascular ICU (CVICU), and LVAD Transplant/Mechanical Assist Device (LVAD/Tx) with additional elective months. The fellowship program offers a diverse array of electives such as intraoperative transthoracic echocardiography, infectious disease and transfusion. Emphasis in this fellowship is placed primarily on the anesthetic management of critically ill patients before and after cardiothoracic surgery, specifically instruction in the principals of cardiopulmonary physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology related to elective or emergency care of patients. Training in the CV recovery room will include invasive and noninvasive monitoring techniques, respiratory care, mechanical ventilator management, hepatic and renal failure, coagulopathy, sepsis syndrome, multisystem organ failure as well as neurologic and cardiac diseases.
The Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program meets requirements for the American Board of Anesthesiology special certification in Critical Care Medicine. Anesthesiology and Anesthesia Critical Care attending physicians who are board certified in their respective fields supervise the service.
Please mail, email or fax the required documentation:
- Baylor House Staff Application
- Passport size photo (jpeg preferably)
- Updated curriculum vita
- Personal Statement (500 words or less) - THIS WILL BE SENT FROM THE SF MATCH
- Publications: If applicable, please list publications on a separate sheet.
- Transcript: Please request the registrar of your medical school to send a transcript directly to Michelle Farley (see contact information below)
- Three letters of recommendation – THESE WILL BE SENT FROM THE SF MATCH
- ITE and USMLE exam scores
- MSPE (Medical School Performance Evaluation) – Request from the Dean of Students at your medical school. A copy will be acceptable.
- ECFMG - if you are a graduate of a foreign medical school.
- Register with the SF Match
Division of Cardiovascular Anesthesiology
Texas Heart Institute at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center
c/o Michelle R. Farley and John R. Cooper Jr., M.D.
P.O. Box 20345, MC 1-226
Houston, TX 77225-0345
Phone: (832) 355-7860
Fax: (832) 355-6500