Policy and Practice Improvements
The innovations brought about through the work of the Safer Dx Team has affected changes and improvements to policy and practices at both the VA and other health care organizations.
• Informed the Veterans Health Administration Directive 1088: Communicating Test Results to Providers and Patients which was dispersed to all Veterans Integrated Service Networks (VISNs) nationally to establish policy regarding communication of test results to providers and patients.
• Informed the report Improving Diagnosis in Healthcare by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (formerly the Institute of Medicine), who cited 33 of the team's publications.
• Informed the Diagnostic Errors report World Health Organization (WHO) - Patient Safety in Primary Care that was circulated nationally to provide strategies that could be implemented to reduce diagnostic errors in primary care.
• Created Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS) View Alert Notification checklist which was disseminated to all VISN directors and Chief Medical Officers (CMOs) in 2017.
• Developed 10 Strategies for Managing Notifications that was distributed to all Veterans Affairs facilities and is used for Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS) training.