- Assistant Dean
Educational Evaluation, Assessment, and Research
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas US
- Assistant Professor
Department of Education, Innovation, and Technology
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas United States
- PhD from University of Michigan
- Ann Arbor
Honors & Awards
- Token of Appreciation from Medical Students (TAMS) Award
- University of Michigan Medical School (04/2012)
- Making a Difference Award
- Three time recipient: 5/2013, 1/2014, 3/2015
- University of Michigan Hospital System
- Thomas G. Varbedian Award for Excellence in Service to Students
- Student-Granted Award from University of Michigan Medical School, 5/2015
- Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Excellence Award for Educational Research
- Baylor College of Medicine
Professional StatementFor the entirety of my professional career, I have worked in service of higher-education evaluation, assessment, and education research. In my current role, I work collaboratively with colleagues to review and improve the quality of ongoing performance assessments, and develop and implement new assessment processes to meet the emergent needs of an evolving medical education curriculum. My team and I also administer over 200 course and teaching evaluation surveys annually, yielding program evaluation reports for hundreds of pre-clinical and clinical courses and electives, and more than 2,000 pre-clinical and clinical instructors. As a health-professions education researcher, I share authorship of over 35 peer-reviewed medical education publications, and more than 80 peer-reviewed professional conference presentations on medical education topics. Much of my research utilizes medical education program evaluation and performance assessment data. My key areas of scholarly interest include evaluation of curricular innovations, examination of student study strategies and their impact on performance outcomes, learning environment factors including student mistreatment, and inter-professional education.
- Joel Purkiss, Melissa Plegue, Christina J. Grabowski, Michael H. Kim, Sharad Jain, Mark C. Henderson, Lisa M. Meeks "Examination of Medical College Admission Test Scores and US Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge Scores Among Students With Disabilities." JAMA Netw. Open.2021/May21;4(5):e2110914.
- William Huang, Joel Purkiss, Aimee Eden, Nital Appelbaum "Family Medicine Clerkship Directors’ Handling of Student Mistreatment: Results from a CERA Survey." Family Medicine.2020/May;:
- Christine Roth, William Huang, Navdeep Sekhon, Andrew Caruso, Doris Kung, Jocelyn Greely, Joel Purkiss, Nadia Ismail "Teaching Laboratory Stewardship in the Medical Student Core Clerkships: Pathology-Teaches." Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine.2019/September;:
- Helen Morgan, Joel Purkiss, Annie Porter, Monica Lypson, Sally Santen, Jennifer Christner, Cyril Grum, Maya Hammoud "Student evaluation of faculty physicians: gender differences in teaching evaluations." Journal of Women's Health.2016/May;:
- Joel Purkiss "Course Evaluation Respondents: Are ‘Low-Performing Retaliators’ Really Over-Represented?." Medical Education. 2012 46 : 513-514.
- Nikki Zaidi, Karri Grob, Jun Yang, Sally Santen, Seetha Monrad, Jill Miller, Joel Purkiss "Theory, Process, and Validation Evidence for a Staff-Driven Medical Education Exam Quality Improvement Process." Medical Science Educator. 2016 26 (331):
- Jesse Burk-Rafel, Sally Santen, Joel Purkiss "Study Behaviors and USMLE Step 1 Performance: Implications of a Student Self-Directed Parallel Curriculum." Academic Medicine. 2017 92 (S67–S74):
- Samantha Ellis, Joel Purkiss, Emily Abdoler, Amanda Opaskar, Rajesh Mangrulkar, Joseph Kolars, Sally Santen "Variability in Student Perceptions of Mistreatment." The Clinical Teacher. 2018 May ; :
- M. Tyson Pillow, Catherine Hatfield, Rebecca Aulbach, Rita Dello Stritto, Peggy Landrum, Suzanne Scheller, Joel Purkiss, Anne Gill "Using a Resuscitation-based Simulation Activity to Create an Interprofessional Education Activity for Medical, Nursing, and Pharmacy Students." MedEdPORTAL. 2020 December 11; (16): 11054.
- Catherine Hatfield, Anita Bagri Major, Joel Purkiss, Frene’ LaCour-Chestnut, Anne Gill "No Place like Home Redesign: Home-Based Clinical Care as an Interprofessional Training Model for Medical and Pharmacy Students." J Interprof Care. 2020 August 24; :
Log In to edit your profile