- Assistant Professor
Mol & Cell Biology-Mol.Regulation
Baylor College of Medicine
Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas United States
- BCM-Alkek Building for Biomedical Research (Office)
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-7882
- PhD from University Of Minnesota
- 01/2004 - Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota United States
- MS from University Of Minnesota
- 01/1997 - Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota United States
Honors & Awards
- Identified as Promising Young Investigator featured in the 2014 edition of Molecular Endocrinology
- Molecular Endocrinology
- Cardiac reprogramming
Professional StatementDr. McClendon has a broad academic and research background in immunology, pathobiology, pharmacology, tumor biology, hormone signaling and metabolism. Her most significant early career contribution was the development of the first assay to measure of the affinity of an allergen-specific immune response.
Later studies were focused on interactions between steroid signaling and cell cycle control in liver, breast, prostate and ovarian cancers.
After joining Baylor College of Medicine, Dr. McClendon developed and characterized animal models of ovarian cancer that lead to important and novel findings that the tumor suppressor gene p53 promotes the ovarian cancer phenotype and steroid hormones estradiol and progesterone mediate metastasis of ovarian cancer cells. Follow-up studies identified that specific p53 mutations are associated with unique and common pathways that can be targeted for novel ovarian cancer therapies.
Dr. McClendon’s current research interests are to identify molecular and cellular signaling pathways involved in cardiac cellular reprogramming. This exciting new area of research is being explored as a promising approach to repair damaged heart tissue to improve the lives of patients with congestive heart failure. Dr. McClendon’s recent paper demonstrates a potent small molecule stimulator of steroid receptor coactivators improves cardiac function following myocardial infarction thus serving as an innovative agent for cardiac protection after ischemic injury.
The Best of Basic Research 2014 highlights 15 of the best research articles published in the past year by the Endocrine Society journals.
- Mullany LK, Nelsen CJ, Hanse EA, Goggin MM, Anttila CK, Peterson M, Bitterman PB, Raghavan A, Crary GS, Albrecht JH "Akt-mediated liver growth promotes induction of cyclin E through a novel translational mechanism and a p21-mediated cell cycle arrest.." J. Biol. Chem..2007/July20;282(29):21244-52. Pubmed PMID: 17517888
- Hanse EA, Nelsen CJ, Goggin MM, Anttila CK, Mullany LK, Berthet C, Kaldis P, Crary GS, Kuriyama R, Albrecht JH "Cdk2 plays a critical role in hepatocyte cell cycle progression and survival in the setting of cyclin D1 expression in vivo.." Cell Cycle.2009/September1;8(17):2802-9. Pubmed PMID: 19652536
- Fan HY, Liu Z, Mullany LK, Richards JS "Consequences of RAS and MAPK activation in the ovary: The good, the bad and the ugly.." Mol. Cell. Endocrinol..2012/June5;356(41276):74-9. Pubmed PMID: 22197887
- Hanse EA, Mashek DG, Becker JR, Solmonson AD, Mullany LK, Mashek MT, Towle HC, Chau AT, Albrecht JH "Cyclin D1 inhibits hepatic lipogenesis via repression of carbohydrate response element binding protein and hepatocyte nuclear factor 4a.." Cell Cycle.2012/July15;11(14):2681-90. Pubmed PMID: 22751438
- Mullany LK, Hanse EA, Romano A, Blomquist CH, Mason JI, Delvoux B, Anttila C, Albrecht JH "Cyclin D1 regulates hepatic estrogen and androgen metabolism.." Am. J. Physiol. Gastrointest. Liver Physiol.. 2010 June ; 298 (6): G884-95. Pubmed PMID: 20338923
- Mullany LK, White P, Hanse EA, Nelsen CJ, Goggin MM, Mullany JE, Anttila CK, Greenbaum LE, Kaestner KH, Albrecht JH "Distinct proliferative and transcriptional effects of the D-type cyclins in vivo.." Cell Cycle. 2008 July 15; 7 (14): 2215-24. Pubmed PMID: 18635970
- Kawashima I, Liu Z, Mullany LK, Mihara T, Richards JS, Shimada M "EGF-Like Factors Induce Expansion of the Cumulus Cell-Oocyte Complexes by Activating Calpain-Mediated Cell Movement.." Endocrinology. 2012 August ; 153 (8): 3949-59. Pubmed PMID: 22673225
- Mullany LK, Richards JS "Minireview: animal models and mechanisms of ovarian cancer development.." Endocrinology. 2012 April ; 153 (4): 1585-92. Pubmed PMID: 22396450
- Mullany LK, Fan HY, Liu Z, White LD, Marshall A, Gunaratne P, Anderson ML, Creighton CJ, Xin L, Deavers M, Wong KK, Richards JS "Molecular and functional characteristics of ovarian surface epithelial cells transformed by KrasG12D and loss of Pten in a mouse model in vivo.." Oncogene. 2011 August 11; 30 (32): 3522-36. Pubmed PMID: 21423204
- Mullany LK, Liu Z, King ER, Wong KK, Richards JS "Wild-type tumor repressor protein 53 (Trp53) promotes ovarian cancer cell survival.." Endocrinology. 2012 April ; 153 (4): 1638-48. Pubmed PMID: 22396451
- Beta, Beta, Beta Biological Honor Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Sciences
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- Endocrine Society
- Graduate Women in Science, Xi Chapter
Log In to edit your profile