Severe weather emergencies can happen at any time and often strike quickly. Being prepared for inclement conditions and natural disasters will go a long way in helping to keep yourself and others safe.
Read the following list to stay updated on school closures, public transit changes or cancellations, and city of Houston emergency alerts.
- Call (713) 798-4444 for the College Emergency Information Line. A recorded announcement will provide important updates on the situation.
- Tune into KPRC (950 AM) or KTRH (740 AM) radio stations for information on school closures.
- Check the METRO website for transit updates.
- Visit the city of Houston's Emergency Operations Center website for emergency alerts.
- Keep up with HISD office and school closures.
- Check out Space City Weather.
- For a life-threatening emergency call 911
- For a medical emergency call 211
- Non-emergency, or to report debris or flooding: 311 or (713) 884-3131
- If you need to be rescued call (281) 238-3430
- United States Coast Guard numbers: (281) 464-4851, (281) 464-4852, (281) 464-4853, (281) 464-4854, (281) 464-4855.
- Report downed power lines: (713) 207-2222
- Download the FEMA app
- Updates from official emergency management social media accounts on the FEMA Social Hub
- Centerpoint Power Outage Map
- Find your towed or abandoned car
- METRO Information
- STEAR site
- Department of Homeland Security
- TranStar traffic cameras
- Find family and friends or to register yourself as safe
- Report a missing child
How To Help
- American Red Cross: text 90999 to donate $10
- United Way of Greater Houston (online donation)
- United Way Flood Relief Fund: text UWFLOOD to 41444 to donate
- Call the Houston Fire Department at (713) 305-3789 to lend your boat to rescue efforts
- SPCA of Texas (animal shelter)
- Donate to the Feeding Texas food bank