Updates on Gastroschisis and Trial for In Utero Repair
Thursday, March 30, 2023
12 p.m. (CST)
Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children’s Hospital presents the Fetal Medicine Webinar series. These webinars will feature lectures provided by leading international experts in fetal surgery and will focus on some of the most interesting and relevant topics in this field. We invite physicians to participate in this stimulating educational opportunity to increase their knowledge on many different aspects of fetal medicine.
In our most recent webinar, we introduced what may be the next frontier in fetal surgery: prenatal management and treatment of patients diagnosed with complex gastroschisis. We also discussed our innovative Phase 1 trial* for fetoscopic repair of complex gastroschisis.
Our multidisciplinary expert panel:
- Explained the natural history of gastroschisis as well as the rationale and criteria for fetal surgery.
- Reported on our animal experiments proving the feasibility, safety, and efficacy of fetal repair of complex gastroschisis.
- Described how to perform a reliable prenatal diagnosis of complex gastroschisis, a detailed prenatal evaluation, and achieve patient stratification.
- Demonstrated how outcomes from patients diagnosed with gastroschisis may be compromised during their hospital stay and longer term.
- Discussed our clinical trial including the inclusion and exclusion criteria, the challenges of surgically managing these cases safely, and conducting perinatal and postnatal follow-up.
*The Phase 1 trial has been approved by the FDA and our local IRB. It is only offered at the Texas Children’s Fetal Center.
View official flyer
Have you missed any of the previous webinars? Check out our fetal webinar playlist here!