Herbert Ames, Ph.D.
Herbert Ames, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center (Office)
Room: SCI Care Line
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 791-1414
- Ph.D. from Indiana State University
- 01/1993 - Terre Haute, IN United States
- BS from University of Houston
- MA from University of Houston at Clear Lake
- Screening for Psychological and Neurocognitive Disorders
- Psychosocial Adjustment After Spinal Cord Injury
Professional StatementDr. Ames received his Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology in 1993 from Indiana State University and has been with the Department of Veterans Affairs for 26 years. He is currently on staff in the Spinal Cord Injury Care Line at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center in Houston, Texas, where he holds faculty appointments at the Baylor College of Medicine in the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and the Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences. Dr. Ames is principal investigator of the "Improving Care Practices and Outcomes for Spinal Cord Injured Veterans" study at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center. He is board certified in Rehabilitation Psychology & Geropsychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology and certified in Clinical Neuropsychology by the American Board of Professional Neuropsychology. Dr. Ames retains interests in researching measures of psychological & cognitive functioning that efficiently identify psychological distress, cognitive deficits, and disability appraisals that impact quality of life and adaptation to disability.
- Mignogna J, Christie A, Holmes S, Ames H "Brief Report: Measuring Disability-Associated Appraisals for Veterans with Spinal Cord Injury." Rehabilitation Psychology. 2015;
- Ames H, Hendrickse WA, Bakshi RS, LePage JP, Keefe C "Utility of the Neurobehavioral Cognitive Status Examination (Cognistat) with Geriatric Mental Health Outpatients." Clinical Gerontologist. 2009;
Log In to edit your profile