- Medical Director/ Professor
Mol. & Human Gen./Clinic. Prgm
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Section Chief
Michael E. DeBakey VAMC
Houston, Texas United States
Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas United States
- Adult Genetics Clinic (Clinic)
Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center - McNair Campus
7200 Cambridge St.
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-7820
Adult Genetics Clinic
- MBBS from NHL Municipal Medical College
- 01/1997 - Ahmedabad, Gujarat India
- Residency at The Gujarat Cancer and Research Institute
- 06/1999 - Ahmedabad, Gujarat India
- Pathology & Microbiology
- MS from Stephen F Austin State University
- 06/2001 - Nacogdoches, Texas United States
- Residency at New York INF Beekman Downtown Hospital
- 06/2006 - New York City, New York United States
- Internal Medicine
- Fellowship at Baylor College Of Medicine
- 08/2008 - Houston, Texas United States
- Medical Genetics
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Medical Genetics
Honors & Awards
- Fulbright & Jaworski Teaching & Evaluation Award
- Baylor College of Medicine (03/2013)
- Rising Star Clinician Award
- Baylor College of Medicine (05/2014)
- Fulbright & Jaworski Educational Leadership Award
- Clark Faculty Service Award
- Baylor College of Medicine (05/2018 - 05/2018)
- Women of Excellence Award
- Baylor College of Medicine (03/2020 - 03/2020)
- Diagnosis and management of adults with genetic conditions
Professional StatementAs the Medical Director for the Adult Genetics Clinics at BCM, I am proud to say that this is one of the largest Adult Genetics Divisions in the country. My primary clinical focus lies in diagnosis and management of adults with genetic conditions, known or suspected. These include diagnosis and management of single gene disorders, chromosomal disorders and familial cancer syndromes, risk assessment for cancer and reproductive planning as well as testing for known genetic disorders in the family.
I am also involved in the education of medical students at BCM, particularly in the field of adult genetics. I direct the Genetics course for MS2 and am always looking for opportunities to enhance the genetic education of our medical students and residents through various electives. The Genetics & Genomics Pathway at BCM was established in 2011 and is one of the first such medical pathways in the nation. Through this pathway, students get an unparalleled experience in genetics through their medical school career at BCM. On the national front, I was recently elected to the Board of Directors as a clinical director for the American College of Medical Genetics & Genomics (ACMG). Finally, through my position as chair of the Adult Genetics Special Interest Group (SIG) at ACMG, I was able to launch the Adult & Cancer Diagnostic Dilemmas session at the annual meeting in 2016 which has continued to remain a standing feature every year since.
Dr. Dhar is board certified in medical genetics, clinical genetics. She specializes in the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of adults with genetic disorders.
- Machol K, Jankovic J, Vijayakumar D, Burrage LC, Jain M, (...); Undiagnosed Diseases Network, Dhar SU "Atypical Alexander disease with dystonia, retinopathy, and a brain mass mimicking astrocytoma.." Neurol Genet.2018;4:e248.
- Zhao S, Chen WJ, Dhar SU, Eble TN, Kwok OM, Chen LS "Needs assessment in genetic testing education: A survey of parents of children with autism spectrum disorder in the united states.." Autism Res..2019;12:1162-1170.
- Assia Batzir N, Bhagwat PK, Eble TN, Liu P, Eng CM, Elsea SH, Robak LA, Scaglia F, Goldman AM, Dhar SU, Wangler MF "De novo missense variant in the GTPase effector domain (GED) of DNM1L leads to static encephalopathy and seizures.." Cold Spring Harb Mol Case Stud..2019;5(3):pii: a003673.
- Prakash P, Eble TN, Dhar SU "Quality improvement of clinic flow for complex genetic conditions: Using Ehlers-Danlos syndrome as a model.." Mol Genet Genomic Med.2018;6:993-1000.
- Posey JE, Rosenfeld JA, James RA, Bainbridge M, Niu Z, Wang X, Dhar S, (...), Plon SE "Molecular diagnostic experience of whole-exome sequencing in adult patients.." Genet Med. 2016 18 : 678-85.
- Eble TN, Nagamani SC, Franco LM, Plon SE, Blazo M, Dhar SU "The practice of adult genetics: A 7-year experience from a single center.." Am. J. Med. Genet. A. 2013 January ; 161 (1): 89-93. Pubmed PMID: 23239603
- Chen LS, Xu L, Huang TY, Dhar SU "Autism genetic testing: a qualitative study of awareness, attitudes, and experiences among parents of children with autism spectrum disorders.." Genet. Med.. 2013 April ; 15 (4): 274-81. Pubmed PMID: 23288207
- Dhar SU, Alford RL, Nelson EA, Potocki L "Enhancing exposure to genetics and genomics through an innovative medical school curriculum.." Genet. Med.. 2012 January ; 14 (1): 163-7. Pubmed PMID: 22237446
- Bekheirnia MR, Zhang W, Eble T, Willis A, Shaibani A, Wong LJ, Scaglia F, Dhar SU "POLG mutation in a patient with cataracts, early-onset distal muscle weakness and atrophy, ovarian dysgenesis and 3-methylglutaconic aciduria.." Gene. 2012 May 10; 499 (1): 209-12. Pubmed PMID: 22405928
- Bacino CA, Dhar SU, Brunetti-Pierri N, Lee B, Bonnen PE "WDR35 mutation in siblings with Sensenbrenner syndrome: A ciliopathy with variable phenotype.." Am. J. Med. Genet. A. 2012 November ; 158 (11): 2917-24. Pubmed PMID: 22987818
- Plon SE, Cooper HP, Parks B, Dhar SU, Kelly PA, Weinberg AD, Staggs S, Wang T, Hilsenbeck S "Genetic testing and cancer risk management recommendations by physicians for at-risk relatives.." Genet. Med.. 2011 February ; 13 (2): 148-54. Pubmed PMID: 21224735
- Liu P1, Erez A, Nagamani SC, Dhar SU, (...), Cheung SW, Hastings PJ, Stankiewicz P, Lupski JR, Bi W "Chromosome catastrophes involve replication mechanisms generating complex genomic rearrangements.." Cell. 2011 September 16; 146 (6): 889-903. Pubmed PMID: 21925314
- Dhar SU, Chintagumpala M, Noll C, Chévez-Barrios P, Paysse EA, Plon SE "Outcomes of integrating genetics in management of patients with retinoblastoma.." Arch. Ophthalmol.. 2011 November ; 129 (11): 1428-34. Pubmed PMID: 22084214
- Dhar SU, Cooper HP, Wang T, Parks B, Staggs SA, Hilsenbeck S, Plon SE "Significant differences among physician specialties in management recommendations of BRCA1 mutation carriers.." Breast Cancer Res. Treat.. 2011 August ; 129 (1): 221-7. Pubmed PMID: 21465171
- Dhar SU, Del Gaudio D, German JR, Peters SU, Ou Z, Bader PI, Berg JS, Blazo M, Brown CW, Graham BH, Grebe TA, Lalani S, Irons M, Sparagana S, Williams M, Phillips JA, Beaudet AL, Stankiewicz P, Patel A, Cheung SW, Sahoo T "22q13.3 deletion syndrome: Clinical and molecular analysis using array CGH.." Am. J. Med. Genet. A. 2010 March ; 152 (3): 573-81. Pubmed PMID: 20186804
- Dhar SU, Taylor T, Trinh C, Sutton VR "Cranio-meta-diaphyseal dysplasia: 25 year follow-up and review of literature.." Am. J. Med. Genet. A. 2010 September ; 152 (9): 2335-8. Pubmed PMID: 20684007
- Dhar SU, Scaglia F, Li FY, Smith L, Barshop BA, Eng CM, Haas RH, Hunter JV, Lotze T, Maranda B, Willis M, Abdenur JE, Chen E, O'Brien W, Wong LJ "Expanded clinical and molecular spectrum of guanidinoacetate methyltransferase (GAMT) deficiency.." Mol. Genet. Metab.. 2009 January ; 96 (1): 38-43. Pubmed PMID: 19027335
- Dhar SU, Robbins-Furman P, Levy ML, Patel A, Scaglia F "Tetrasomy 13q mosaicism associated with phylloid hypomelanosis and precocious puberty.." Am. J. Med. Genet. A. 2009 May ; 149 (5): 993-6. Pubmed PMID: 19334087
- American College of Medical Genetics & Genomics
- Fellow Member
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Human Genetics
- American College of Physicians
Log In to edit your profile