Course Dates: Thursday and Friday, May 11– 12, 2023
An intensive two-day course in critical care ultrasound targeted towards providers caring for critically ill infants, children, and adolescents. Taught by faculty experienced in teaching ultrasound to pediatric clinicians internationally.
At the conclusion of the course, learners should be able to:
- Perform ultrasound-guided procedures for arterial and venous peripheral and central access as well as other ultrasound-guided drainage procedures such as lumbar puncture and thoracentesis.
- Outline some of the techniques used in determining failure of vascular access including vessel occlusion and infiltration.
- Obtain focused cardiac ultrasound images.
- Apply respiratory system imaging including for the upper airway, the lungs, and diaphragm.
- Conceptualize using abdominal ultrasound for identification of free fluid, and the bladder in the case of patients with anuria.
- Explain and apply cardiac ultrasound for hemodynamic assessment of patients
- Explain and apply pulmonary ultrasound for respiratory assessment of patients
- Explain and apply vascular and thoracic and abdominal ultrasound for access procedures in patients
- Explain and apply methods for responsible documentation and review of ultrasound
- Physicians from institutions outside of TCH: $615
- Advanced Practice Providers, TCH faculty, and other medical professionals: $475
This workshop is open to clinicians seeking training in ultrasound for acutely ill children, particularly in the critical care setting.
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Trainees and Physicians in Practice
- Inpatient Pediatrics
- Emergency Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
Why this Workshop?
- Internationally recognized faculty from leading academic institutions
- Curriculum designed to relate topics from society-endorsed guidelines as well as cutting-edge modalities
- Maximized hands-on practice with live models
Texas Children’s Hospital is accredited by the Texas Medical Association to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Texas Children’s Hospital designates this live activity for a maximum of 14.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- The activity director has determined that the presenter(s)/author(s)/content reviewer(s) have no relevant financial relationship except for the following and these relevant financial relationships have been appropriately mitigated.
- Persons involved in the planning of this activity have reported no relevant financial relationships with any ineligible company.
- Statement of Ineligible Company Support: Sonosite has provided in-kind support for this activity.
The conference will be held at Texas Children's Hospital in the Critical Care Conference Center, Legacy Tower.
Thursday, May 11, 2023
|8:30 a.m.||Introduction to Scanning|
|9 a.m.||Vascular Access|
|9:30 a.m.||Lung Ultrasound|
|10:15 a.m.||Skill Stations: Vascular Access, Lung, Know your Machine|
|Noon||Lunch and Plenary|
|1 p.m.||Diaphragm and Intubation|
|1:15 p.m.||Cardiac Ultrasound|
|2:15 p.m.||Skill Stations: Parasternal, Apical and Subcostal Views|
Friday, May 12, 2023
|9 a.m.||Effusion and Tamponade|
|9:30 a.m.||Shock States|
|10:15 a.m.||Skill Stations: Abdomen, Long Axis Drainage, Ask an Expert|
|Noon||Lunch and Ophthalmological Ultrasound|
|1 p.m.||Shock Cases|
|1:30 p.m.||Cardiac Arrest and ECMO|
|2:15 p.m.||Skill Stations: Megacode simulation, Skills building|