Orientation to Clinical Translational Research (OCTR): Topics covered include T1-T4 translational research, study design for randomized clinical trials and retrospective studies, Good Manufacturing Practice facilities, informed consent, regulatory affairs, Institutional Review Board.
Practical Skills in Translational Research Workshops (PSTRW): Case-based or project based skills development pertaining to clinical research proposal development, sample size and power calculations, retrospective studies, prospective early clinical trials, biobanking research, databases and data management.
Clinical Translational Research Seminars (CTRS): translational research seminars given by guest faculty invited by CTR-CAQ faculty and students. Students have opportunity to interact with guest faculty in small, informal group setting.
Clinical Translational Research Experience (CTRE): Students learn about clinical aspects of their area of research interest through exposure to clinical medicine and clinical research, and develop a short capstone project in consultation with their CTR mentor.
- Gain knowledge of the ethics, regulatory aspects and practical conduct of clinical research
- Conduct hands-on work with peers in small groups to use this knowledge in simulated scenarios
- Master the skills necessary to work in and lead teams of researchers
- Participate in clinical/translational conferences and meetings where you will learn from and interact with experts in translational research
- Complete a capstone project with mentorship from your chosen clinical translational research mentor who will introduce you to clinical research
Clinical Translational Research Mentors
Baylor College of Medicine Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences is embedded within a leading health sciences university with a top-ranked medical school and located in the heart of the world’s largest medical complex. This provides access to many exceptional clinical translational research mentors for our students. You will have the opportunity to select mentors from the:
- Asthma Clinical Research Center
- Center for Cell and Gene Therapy
- Dan L Duncan Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
- Lester and Sue Smith Breast Center
- Pediatric clinics at Texas Children's Hospital
- Tropical Medicine Clinic
- Children's Nutrition Research Cener
- Vaccine Research Center
- And many more clinical research centers and clinics