Dean Forrest Sittig
Dean Forrest Sittig
- Adjunct Professor
Medicine-Health Srvcs Research
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Design, development, implementation, and evaluation of all aspects of clinical information and communication systems.
Professional StatementDr. Sittig is a Professor of Biomedical Informatics at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, TX. He received his PhD in Medical Informatics from the University of Utah while working at the LDS Hospital. He is fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics and a founding member of the International Academy of Health Sciences Informatics. He has spent his career working to improve our understanding of both the factors that lead to success, as well as, the unintended consequences associated with various forms of health information technology. He has spent considerable time studying various aspects of computer-based provider order entry and clinical decision support including factors that lead to success as well as the unintended consequences of their use. Most recently he has focused his efforts on developing guidelines for the safe and effective implementation and use of electronic health records (EHRs) that are based on an 8-dimension socio-technical model that he developed with Hardeep Singh. This work led to the development of the SAFER guides that were designed to help healthcare organizations conduct pro-active risk assessments of their EHRs. He recently co-authored the following books, “Improving Outcomes – A Practical Guide to Clinical Decision Support Implementation”, “Clinical Information Systems: Overcoming Adverse Consequences”, “Electronic Health Records: Challenges in Design and Implementation”, “SAFER Electronic Health Records: Safety Assurance Factors for EHR Resilience” and most recently “Clinical Informatics Literacy: 5000 Concepts That Every Informatician Should Know”.
- McCoy AB, Wright A, Laxmisan A, Singh H, Sittig DF "A Prototype Knowledge Base and SMART App to Facilitate Organization of Patient Medications by Clinical Problems.." AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2011;2011:888-94. Pubmed PMID: 22195147
- Singh H, Classen DC, Sittig DF "Creating an oversight infrastructure for electronic health record-related patient safety hazards.." J Patient Saf. 2011 Dec;7(4):169-74. Pubmed PMID: 22080284
- Wright A, Henkin S, Feblowitz J, McCoy AB, Bates DW, Sittig DF "Early results of the meaningful use program for electronic health records.." N. Engl. J. Med.. 2013 Feb 21;368(8):779-80. Pubmed PMID: 23425186
- Bhise V, Rajan SS, Sittig DF, Vaghani V, Morgan RO, Khanna A, Singh H "Electronic health record reviews to measure diagnostic uncertainty in primary care." J Eval Clin Pract. 2018; Pubmed PMID: 29675888
- Murphy DR, Meyer AND, Vaghani V, Russo E, Sittig DF, Wei L, Wu L, Singh H "Electronic Triggers to Identify Delays in Follow-Up of Mammography: Harnessing the Power of Big Data in Health Care." J Am Coll Radiol. 2018; Pubmed PMID: 29102539
Log In to edit your profile