The Department of Education, Innovation and Technology anchors education, one of Baylor College of Medicine's mission areas, as a discipline at the College with an academic focus on the science of teaching and learning. Members of the department contribute to a growing body of specialized knowledge related to how people learn and effective educational practices.
Faculty members in the department have diverse sets of knowledge and skills related to educational research and evaluation, technology applications, scientific and clinical teaching, commercialization and research coordination. The synergies afforded by EIT promote collaboration and development of novel educational experiences for students and trainees, educational programs and teaching resources.
The department guides professional growth and development of its members, supports faculty career advancement, and stimulates identification and translation of new discoveries or best practices benefiting the learning community within Baylor, globally and nationally.
Disciplinary Focus Areas
The Department of Education, Innovation and Technology provides infrastructure and collaborators to develop interdisciplinary partnerships, businesses and scholarly work, as well as new learning objects, distance education strategies, courses or curricula. In particular, faculty members focus on the following areas within education as a discipline.
Science of Teaching and Learning
- Principles of adult learning (andragogy)
- Improvement in educational practices through discovery, innovation, synthesis and application
Curriculum Design and Assessment
- Approaches that are appropriate for self-directed, collaborative or interdisciplinary learning
- Alignment of learner outcomes, assessment approaches and design of learning experiences
Learner-centered Teaching and Education Methodologies
- Applications of inclusive and equitable approaches
- Development of learners’ metacognitive and critical thinking skills
- Teaching practices that promote disciplinary expertise and learner agency
Online Teaching and Learning
- Blended/hybrid, synchronous and asynchronous strategies for teaching and course design
- Connected learning using new technologies or approaches
Digital Technology Applications to Education
- Alignment of technology use to learning goals
- Development or new applications of learning objects and digital tools
Faculty Pilot Grants: Request for Application Announcement
Baylor College of Medicine, with the generous support of the Huffington Foundation, is pleased to announce the availability of pilot grant funding for Baylor faculty members engaged in educational research or program development and evaluation. Education, Innovation and Technology (EIT) Faculty Pilot Grants provide funding of up to $50,000 per project for up to a two-year duration. Up to five awards will be made during FY22. The submitting principal investigator (PI) must be a Baylor faculty member appointed in the Department of Education, Innovation and Technology. To apply, follow the instruction for application and submit required application materials to email@example.com by Aug. 2, 2021 by 5 p.m.
The Application Materials must include the following elements. For detailed instructions, see the RFA document.
- Cover Page
- Project Abstract
- Educational Research or Educational Project Rationale and Plan
- Literature Cited
- Overview of Recruitment and Protection of Human Subject, if applicable
- Biosketches for PI, Co-PIs or other key personnel, as appropriate
- Letters of Endorsement and Commitment from collaborators or consultants, as appropriate