- Get a good bike lock. Don't waste your money on a cheap padlock and cable.
- On campus, spaces are available to lock your bike in the Anderson Courtyard and between the Services and Cullen buildings.
- Lock your bike to a fixed object. Don't leave it unlocked even for a moment.
Personal Protection Strategies
- Avoid walking or running alone at night.
- Always walk in well-lit areas. Avoid the use of shortcuts or areas with minimal foot-traffic.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you - especially if you are alone or it is dark.
- Walk close to the curb. Avoid doorways, bushes and alleys where someone could hide.
- Walk at a steady pace with a self-assured stride.
- Avoid using headphones while walking, driving or jogging.
- If someone in a vehicle stops and asks for directions, answer from a distance. Do not approach the vehicle.
- Do not display cash openly, especially when leaving an ATM machine.
- If in danger, scream and run, yell "fire" or carry and blow a loud whistle to attract attention
- Hold your purse tightly, close to your body. Keep your wallet in a front or buttoned hip pocket or side coat pocket. Carry as little cash as possible.
- Have your key ready in your hand so you can open the door to your home or car immediately
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave right away and go immediately to an area with lights and people; get help if necessary. Property can be replaced - your life cannot
What Predators Look For
- Someone looking friendly, timid, lost, absent-minded, or intoxicated – thus more easily manipulated.
- Someone wearing earphones or distracted with a cell phone – unaware of surroundings.
- Someone unaware they're being followed until they're isolated.
- Someone parking close to trucks that prevent witnesses from seeing you – predators seek that kind of cover.
- Someone “handcuffed” with both arms loaded with packages or a child
Report suspicious persons to BCM Security at 713-798-3000 or call 911.
- National Crime Prevention Council Online Resource Center
- Texas Department of Public Safety
- Texas Legislature
- Texas Crime Prevention Association
- TMC Phone Numbers
- Houston Police Department
- Houston Police Department - Personal Safety Guide
- Rice University Police Department