The Career Development Center collaborates with students from the Graduate Student Council and Postdoctoral Fellows from Baylor’s Postdoctoral Association to host monthly career development seminars and workshops. These sessions showcase diverse careers in science as well as topics pertinent to Baylor students and postdocs’ professional development and future career success.
It’s All in the Details: Tips for Navigating the Job Inquiry Process, from Application to Negotiation
Ever wondered what account managers are looking for in scientific job applications, or during prescreening and interviews? What about navigating contracts and offers? Join us for a panel discussion with seasoned experts to gain insight into the job application, screening, interview, negotiation and hiring process.
- Morgan James, Account Manager, Insight Global
- Claire Popov, Professional Recruiter, Insight Global
- Kelsey Rosemeyer, Account Manager, Insight Global
- Pascal Piazza, JD, Attorney at Law, Zukowski, Brensenhan & Piazza LLP
Communicating Science: A Look at Careers in Science Writing and Illustration
Join us for a conversation with science writers and Illustrators. We will discuss the career path of a science communicator and how you can break into the field. Come and see if a creative science job is right for you!
- Susan Marriott, Ph.D., President, BioScience Writers & Professor, Baylor College of Medicine
- Paige Jarreau, Ph.D., Vice President of Science Communication, LifeOmic
- Pamela Meyers, MBA, CQA, Quality Assurance Project Lead, Lonza
- Alec Entringer, MS, Process Validation Engineer, Lonza
- Allison Biernik, MS, Quality Assurance Specialist, Lonza
- Ryan Robinson, Ph.D., Project Manager of Cell and Gene Technologies, Lonza
A Day in the Life of Consulting – An Insider’s Perspective
Join us for an engaging conversation with two scientific consultants who will talk about the ins and outs of their career and how to best prepare for success in consulting.
- Collin G. Johnson, Ph.D., Strategy Insights & Planning Associate Consultant at ZS
- Cavan Bailey, Ph.D., Advisory Associate, Prescient Healthcare Group
Interfacing Sophisticated Tools with Bench Science: A Conversation with Field Application Scientists
Are you passionate about sophisticated scientific tools? Are you wondering how new technologies get incorporated into labs to advance bench science? This seminar will provide an inside look into the responsibilities and perspectives of field application scientists.
- James Nyagilo, Ph.D., Field Application Scientist, Molecular Devices
- Nastaran Mues, Ph.D., Field Application Scientist, Thermo Fisher
- Sarit Pal, Ph.D., Field Application Scientist-Analysis, BICO
Exploring the Third Coast: R&D and Biotechnology in the Houston Area
Take advantage of this unique opportunity to network and learn from leaders in the local R&D and Biotechnology sector.
- Ann Tanabe, CEO of BioHouston
- Stephanie Vega, Ph.D., Associate Principal at Fannin Innovation Studio
- Sarah Kurley, Ph.D., Director, R&D Evidence Development at Castle Biosciences, Inc.
- Matthew Collinson-Pautz, Ph.D., Director Translational Science at Ziopharm Oncology
Ever wondered when to use a CV versus a resume? What about formatting and strategies to get noticed by hiring managers? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this interactive workshop where we unpack all the details and work through exercises focused on building a professional application package that markets your unique abilities and is tailored to a position of interest.
Professional Networking Workshop
Do you often wonder how to approach experts or make connections in your field of study? Are you unsure about what to ask when you do interact with these individuals? What about keeping in contact and broaching conversations about career opportunities? During this workshop, we will address each of these aspects of networking and implement practical strategies and approaches to effectively navigating professional networking.
Leveraging your Skills for Service: Exploring Scientific Non-Profit Career Paths
What is a non-profit? Is it more than just fundraising and public advocacy? How does science fit into the equation? Learn the answers to these questions and more at our upcoming Career Development Center virtual panel discussion with a diverse group of scientific experts leveraging their skillset in the non-profit sector.
- Aron Parekh, Ph.D., Scientific Programs Manager, Susan G. Komen
- Melissa Mahgoub, Ph.D., Advisor for Science and Health Advancement, American Heart Association
- Sudip Parikh, Ph.D., CEO & Executive Publisher Science Family of Journals, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Yixian (John) Zhang, Ph.D., Senior Managing Director, American Association for Cancer Research