Mustafa Tosur, MD, FAAP
Mustafa Tosur, MD, FAAP
- Associate Professor
Diabetes and Endocrinology
Baylor College of Medicine / Texas Children's Hospital
Houston, TX US
- Adjunct Faculty
Children's Nutrition Research Center, USDA/ARS
Houston, Texas United States
- TCH-Clinical Care Center (Clinic)
6701 Fannin St.
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (832) 822-3670
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 06/2018 - Houston, Texas United States
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Residency at University of Texas Medical Branch
- 06/2015 - Galveston, Texas United States
- Internship at University of Texas Medical Branch
- 06/2013 - Galveston, Texas United States
- MD from Hacettepe University
- 06/2011 - Ankara, Turkey
- Graduate Certificate at Baylor College of Medicine
- 07/2020 - Houston
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Clinical Investigation
- Texas Medical Licence
- Texas Medical Board
- Board Certification in Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Board Certification in Pediatric Endocrinology
- American Board of Pediatrics
Honors & Awards
- ADA Young Investigator Travel Award
- "Ethnic Differences in Type 1 Diabetes Progression in Relatives at Risk"
- 77th American Diabetes Association Meeting, San Diego, CA (06/2017)
- PES Travel Award
- "Persistent Diabetes Mellitus Post-Adrenalectomy in Neonatal McCune-Albright Syndrome"
- 10th International Pediatric Endocrine Society Meeting, Washington, DC (09/2017)
- Outstanding Abstract Award
- "Two novel calcium sensing receptor gene mutations associated with hypocalciuric hypercalcemia."
- ENDO 2014, Endocrine Society Meeting, Chicago, IL (06/2014)
- The American Diabetes Association’s Diabetes Nutritional Science & Metabolism Interest Group 2021 Abstract Award
Professional StatementI am a board-certified pediatric endocrinologist and physician-scientist focused on pediatric diabetes. I aim to provide state-of-the-art patient care while contributing to the advancement of the field and teaching young generations. I am dedicated to offering quality care to all of my patients that one would desire for his/her own family.
My research efforts are focused on better understanding childhood diabetes in the context of its tremendous heterogeneity in relation to clinical presentation. Specifically, I am interested in the role of race/ethnicity, genetic factors, micronutrients and metabolic disturbances in childhood diabetes.
- Tosur M, Geyer SM, Rodriguez H, Libman I, Baidal DA, Redondo MJ; Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Study Group. "Ethnic differences in progression of islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes in relatives at risk." Diabetologia. 2018 Sep;61(9):2043-2053. Pubmed PMID: 29931415
- Tosur M, Redondo MJ "Heterogeneity of Type 1 Diabetes: The Effect of Ethnicity." Curr Diabetes Rev. 2017; Pubmed PMID: 28464767
- Tosur M, Philipson LH. "Precision diabetes: Lessons learned from maturity-onset diabetes of the young (MODY)." J Diabetes Investig. 2022; Pubmed PMID: 35638342
- Menon S, Refaey A, Guffey D, Balasubramanyam A, Redondo MJ, Tosur M. "Optimizing maturity-onset diabetes of the young detection in a pediatric diabetes population." Pediatr Diabetes. 2022; Pubmed PMID: 35218126
- Tosur M, Soler-Alfonso C, Chan KM, Khayat MM, Jhangiani SN, Meng Q, Refaey A, Muzny D, Gibbs RA, Murdock DR, Posey JE, Balasubramanyam A, Redondo MJ, Sabo A. "Exome sequencing in children with clinically suspected maturity-onset diabetes of the young." Pediatr Diabetes. 2021; Pubmed PMID: 34387403
- Astudillo M, Tosur M, Castillo B, Rafaey A, Siller AF, Nieto J, Sisley S, McKay S, Nella AA, Balasubramanyam A, Bacha F, Redondo MJ. "Type 2 diabetes in prepubertal children." Pediatr Diabetes. 2021; Pubmed PMID: 34363430
- Siller AF, Tosur M, Relan S, Astudillo M, McKay S, Dabelea D, Redondo MJ. "Challenges in the diagnosis of diabetes type in pediatrics.." Pediatr Diabetes. 2020; Pubmed PMID: 32562358
- Tosur M, Cleves MA, Sosenko JM, Libman I, Baidal DA, Balasubramanyam A, Redondo MJ; Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet Study Group. "The Effect of Ethnicity in the Rate of Beta-Cell Functional Loss in the First 3 Years After Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis." J Clin Endocrionol Metabolism. 2020; Pubmed PMID: 32502242
- Gandhi K, Tosur M, Schaub R, Haymond MW, Redondo MJ "Racial and ethnic differences among children with new-onset autoimmune Type 1 diabetes." Diabet Med. 2017; Pubmed PMID: 28626948
- Redondo MJ, Libman I, Cheng P, Kollman C, Tosur M, Gal RL, Bacha F, Klingensmith GJ, Clements M; Pediatric Diabetes Consortium. "Racial/Ethnic Minority Youth With Recent-Onset Type 1 Diabetes Have Poor Prognostic Factors." Diabetes Care. 2018; Pubmed PMID: 29496742
- Tosur M, Hsu JW, Deen S, Huang X, Guffey D, Uysal S, Astudillo M, Redondo MJ, Jahoor F, Balasubramanyam A. "Plasma amino acid signatures define types of pediatric diabetes." Clinical Nutrition ESPEN. 2023 Oct;57:21-28.
- Tosur M, Gandolfo L, Balasubramanyam A, Naylor RN, Pollin TI, Rasouli N, Cromer SJ, Buse JB, Redondo MJ; RADIANT Study Group. "Enrollment of underrepresented racial and ethnic groups in the Rare and Atypical Diabetes Network (RADIANT)." J Clin Transl Sci. 2023 Jan;23:7(1):e47. eCollection..
- American Diabetes Association
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Investigation of Arginine Metabolism and Its Effects on Beta Cell Function in Children with Type 2 Diabetes - #K23-DK129821 (PI: Tosur) (09/01/2022 - 08/31/2027) Grant funding from NIH - NIDDK
- A phase 3, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study to assess the efficacy and safety of 400 mg twice a day oral ladarixin in patients with new-onset type 1 diabetes and a low residual β-cell function at baseline - #(Site PI: Tosur) (12/11/2020 - 06/30/2024) Grant funding from Dompe Pharmaceuticals
- Texas Children’s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine TrialNet Affiliate Center - #(Clinical Center: UT Southwestern, PI:White, Site PI:Tosur) (02/01/2022 Grant funding from NIH-NIDDK
- Type 1 Diabetes Genetic Risk Score in TrialNet - #R01-DK121843 (PI: Redondo, Co-I: Tosur) (08/01/2019 - 07/31/2024) Grant funding from NIH - NIDDK
- DISCOVER (Diabetes Study in Children of diverse Ethnicity and Race): Type 1 Diabetes Genetic Risk Score in Determining Diabetes Type at Diagnosis in Racially and Ethnically Diverse Youth - #R01-DK124395 (PI: Redondo, Co-I: Tosur) (02/15/2021 - 01/31/2025) Grant funding from NIH - NIDDK
Log In to edit your profile