Nader Kim El-Mallawany, M.D., B.A.
Nader Kim El-Mallawany, M.D., B.A.
- Assistant Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- AB from Princeton University
- Princeton, New Jersey United States
- MD from University of Toledo College of Medicine
- Toledo, Ohio United States
- Residency at Brown University
- Providence, Rhode Island United States
- Fellowship at Columbia University
- New York, New York United States
Professional StatementWith over ten years of experience caring for children and adolescents with cancer, Dr. Nader Kim El-Mallawany’s clinical niche is rooted in lymphomas/lymphoproliferative disorders, HIV-related malignancies (particularly Kaposi sarcoma), and the treatment of childhood cancer in low-income countries.
Dr. El-Mallawany is a member of the Lymphoma and Histiocytosis Team at the Texas Children’s Cancer and Hematology Centers with special interest in mature B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas (NHL), Epstein-Barr virus-associated lymphomas/lymphoproliferative disorders, as well as the rare NHL of childhood and adolescence. Over the years, his clinical research in lymphoma has focused on the role of viruses in the pathogenesis of lymphomas as well as the development of chemoimmunotherapy protocols for mature B-cell NHL.
He is also a member of the Global HOPE (Hematology-Oncology Pediatric Excellence) program, having spent four years working at the Baylor International Pediatric AIDS Initiative (BIPAI) Clinical Centre of Excellence and Kamuzu Central Hospital (KCH) in Malawi’s capital city, Lilongwe. During his time there, he pioneered the establishment of a comprehensive pediatric hematology/oncology treatment and care program at KCH, the referral hospital that serves nearly half of Malawi’s population of 15 million people. He also developed one of the world’s largest pediatric HIV-related malignancy programs at the BIPAI clinic, which has cared for over 200 children and adolescents with Kaposi sarcoma (KS) over the past decade.
Through his extensive clinical efforts in Malawi, Dr. El-Mallawany developed a research focus on pediatric KS, endemic Burkitt lymphoma, as well as the overall approach to treating childhood cancer and blood disorders in low-income settings. His work has helped define the unique clinical features that differentiate pediatric KS from adult disease and established evidence-based guidelines to develop risk-stratified and response-adapted treatment protocols for both pediatric KS and Burkitt lymphoma in endemic regions of sub-Saharan Africa. More recently, his research has expanded to characterize the biological underpinnings of pediatric KS linked with the causative virus, human herpesvirus-8. His ultimate career goal is to help bridge the massive disparity gap in curative outcomes for childhood cancer that unfortunately still prevails worldwide.
- El-Mallawany NK, Kamiyango W, Villiera J, Peckham-Gregory EC, Scheurer ME, McAtee CL, Allen CE, Kovarik CL, Frank D, Eason AB, Caro-Vegas C, Chiao EY, Schutze GE, Ozuah NW, Mehta PS, Kazembe PN, Dittmer DP. "Kaposi Sarcoma Herpesvirus Inflammatory Cytokine Syndrome (KICS)-like Clinical Presentation in HIV-Infected Children in Malawi.." Clin Infect Dis. 2019; Pubmed PMID: 31102440
- El-Mallawany NK, Mehta PS, Kamiyango W, Villiera J, Peckham-Gregory EC, Kampani C, Krysiak R, Sanders MK, Caro-Vegas C, Eason AB, Ahmed S, Schutze GE, Martin SC,, Kazembe PN, Scheurer ME, Dittmer DP. "KSHV Viral Load and Interleukin-6 in HIVAssociated Pediatric Kaposi Sarcoma: Exploring the Role of Lytic Activation in Driving the Unique Clinical Features Seen in Endemic Regions.." Int J Cancer. 2019 Jan 1; Pubmed PMID: 30204240
- El-Mallawany NK, Villiera J, Kamiyango W, Peckham-Gregory EC, Scheurer ME, Allen CE, McAtee CL, Legarreta A, Dittmer DP, Kovarik CL, Chiao EY, Martin SC, Ozuah NW, Mehta PS, Kazembe PN. "Endemic Kaposi sarcoma in HIV-negative children and adolescents: an evaluation of overlapping and distinct clinical features in comparison with HIV-related disease.." Infect Agent Cancer. 2018 Nov; Pubmed PMID: 30455728
- El-Mallawany NK, McAtee CL, Campbell LR, Kazembe PN "Pediatric Kaposi sarcoma in context of the HIV epidemic in sub-Saharan Africa: current perspectives.." Pediatric Health Med Ther. 2018 Apr; Pubmed PMID: 29722363
- El-Mallawany NK, Kamiyango W, Villiera J, Slone JS, Kovarik CL, Campbell LR, Agrawal AK, Dittmer DP, Eason AB, Ahmed S, Schutze GE, Scheurer ME, Kazembe PN, Mehta PS. "Proposal of a Risk-Stratification Platform to Address Distinct Clinical Features of Pediatric Kaposi Sarcoma in Lilongwe, Malawi.." J Glob Oncol. 2018 Sep; Pubmed PMID: 29272148
- El-Mallawany NK, Mutai M, Mtete I, Gopal S, Stanley C, Wasswa P, Mtunda M, Chasela M, Fedoriw Y, Montgomery ND, Liomba GN, Kampani C, Krysiak R, Westmoreland KD, Kim M, Slone JS, Scheurer ME, Allen CE, Mehta PS, and Kazembe PN. "Beyond Endemic Burkitt Lymphoma: Navigating Challenges of Differentiating Childhood Lymphoma Diagnoses Amid Limitations in Pathology Resources in Lilongwe, Malawi.." Glob Pediatr Health. 2017 Jun; Pubmed PMID: 28680947
- El-Mallawany NK, Wasswa P, Mtete I, Mutai M, Stanley CC, Mtunda M, Chasela M, Mpasa A, Wachepa S, Kamiyango W, Villiera J, Kazembe PN, Mehta PS "Identifying opportunities to bridge disparity gaps in curing childhood cancer in Malawi: Malignancies with excellent curative potential account for the majority of diagnoses.." Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2017 Aug; Pubmed PMID: 29190181
- El-Mallawany NK, Villiera J, Kamiyango W, Mhango J, Slone JS, Mehta PS, Kazembe PN, and Scheurer ME. "Increasing Numbers of New Kaposi Sarcoma Diagnoses in HIVInfected Children and Adolescents Despite the Wide Availability of Antiretroviral Therapy in Malawi.." Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Mar; Pubmed PMID: 28077522
- El-Mallawany NK, Kamiyango W, Slone JS, Villiera J, Kovarik CL, Cox CM, Dittmer DP, Ahmed SA, Schutze GE, Scheurer ME, Kazembe PN, Mehta PS "Clinical factors associated with long-term complete remission versus poor response to chemotherapy in HIV-infected children and adolescents with Kaposi sarcoma receiving bleomycin and vincristine: a retrospective observational study.." PLoS One. 2016 Apr; Pubmed PMID: 27082863
- El-Mallawany NK, Cairo MS "Advances in the diagnosis and treatment of childhood and adolescent B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma.." Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2015 Feb; Pubmed PMID: 25774481
- El-Mallawany NK, Day N, Ayello J, Van de Ven C, Conlon K, Fermin D, Basrur V, Elenitoba-Johnson K, Lim M*, and Cairo MS* "Differential proteomic analysis of endemic and sporadic Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-positive and negative Burkitt lymphoma.." Eur J Cancer. 2014 Nov; Pubmed PMID: 25466511
- El-Mallawany NK, Frazer JK, Van Vlierberghe P, Ferrando AA, Perkins S, Lim M, Chu Y, Cairo MS "Pediatric T- and NK-cell lymphomas: new biologic insights and treatment strategies.." Blood Cancer J. 2012 Apr;2(4):e65. Pubmed PMID: 22829967
- Coffey AM, Lewis A, Marcogliese AN, Elghetany MT, Punia JN, Chang CC, Allen CE, McClain KL, Gaikwad AS, El-Mallawany NK, Curry CV. "A clinicopathologic study of the spectrum of systemic forms of EBV-associated T-cell lymphoproliferative disorders of childhood: A single tertiary care pediatric institution experience in North America.." Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2019; Pubmed PMID: 31099136
- Chang E, Mapakshi SR, Mbang P, El-Mallawany NK, Kramer JR, White DL, Chiao EY "The impact of protease inhibitors on HIV-associated Kaposi sarcoma incidence: a systematic review.." J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018; Pubmed PMID: 29985803
- Westmoreland KD, El-Mallawany NK, Kazembe P, Stanley CC, Gopal S "Dissecting heterogeneous outcomes for paediatric Burkitt lymphoma in Malawi after anthracyclinebased treatment.." Br J Haematol. 2018 Jun; Pubmed PMID: 28714257
- Westmoreland KD, Montgomery ND, Stanley CC, El-Mallawany NK, Wasswa P, van der Gronde T, Mtete I, Butia M, Itimu S, Chasela M, Mtunda M, Kampani C, Liomba NG, Tomoka T, Dhungel BM, Sanders MK, Krysiak R, Kazembe P, Dittmer DP, Fedoriw Y, Gopal S "Plasma Epstein-Barr virus DNA for pediatric Burkitt lymphoma diagnosis, prognosis and response assessment in Malawi.." Int J Cancer. 2017 Jun; Pubmed PMID: 28268254
- Miller H, Slone JS, Raabe E, El-Mallawany NK, Mehta P, Phelps BR "Lessons From Pediatric HIV: A Case for Curative Intent in Pediatric Cancer in LMICs.." Pediatrics. 2017 Oct; Pubmed PMID: 28912367
- Hochberg J, El-Mallawany NK, Abla "Adolescent and young adult non-Hodgkin lymphoma.." Br J Haematol. 2016; Pubmed PMID: 27071675
- Stanley CC, Westmoreland KD, Heimlich BJ, El-Mallawany NK, Wasswa P, Mtete I, Butia M, Itimu S, Chasela M, Mtunda M, Kaimila B, Kasonkanji E, Chimzimu F, Kampani C, Dhungel BM, Krysiak R, Montgomery ND, Fedoriw Y, Rosenberg NE, Liomba NG, Gopal S "Outcomes for paediatric Burkitt lymphoma treated with anthracycline-based therapy in Malawi." Br J Haematol. 2016 Feb; Pubmed PMID: 26914979
- Cox CM, El-Mallawany NK, Kabue M, Kovarik C, Schutze GE, Kazembe PN, Mehta PS "Clinical characteristics and outcomes of HIV-infected children diagnosed with kaposi sarcoma in malawi and botswana.." Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013 Aug;60(8):1274-80. Pubmed PMID: 23487320
- George D, El-Mallawany NK, Jin Z, Geyer M, Della-Latta P, Satwani P, Garvin JH, Bradley MB, Bhatia M, van de Ven C, Morris E, Schwartz J, Cairo MS "Adenovirus infection in paediatric allogeneic stem cell transplantation recipients is a major independent factor for significantly increasing the risk of treatment related mortality.." Br. J. Haematol.. 2012 Jan;156(1):99-108. Pubmed PMID: 22008222
- Cohen JI, Jaffe ES, Dale JK, Pittaluga S, Heslop HE, Rooney CM, Gottschalk S, Bollard CM, Rao VK, Marques A, Burbelo PD, Turk SP, Fulton R, Wayne AS, Little RF, Cairo MS, El-Mallawany NK, Fowler D, Sportes C, Bishop MR, Wilson W, Straus SE "Characterization and treatment of chronic active Epstein-Barr virus disease: a 28-year experience in the United States.." Blood. 2011 Jun 2;117(22):5835-49. Pubmed PMID: 21454450
- El-Mallawany NK, Geller L, Bollard CM, Wistinghausen B, Mussai F, Wayne AS, Alobeid B, Cairo MS "Long-term remission in a child with refractory EBV(+) hydroa vacciniforme-like T-cell lymphoma through sequential matched EBV(+)-related allogeneic hematopoietic SCT followed by donor-derived EBV-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte immunotherapy.." Bone Marrow Transplant.. 2011 May;46(5):759-61. Pubmed PMID: 20661233
- Sevilla DW, El-Mallawany NK, Emmons FN, Alexander S, Bhagat G, Alobeid B "Spectrum of childhood Epstein-Barr virus-associated T-cell proliferations and bone marrow findings.." Pediatr. Dev. Pathol.. 2011;14(1):28-37. Pubmed PMID: 20367453
- Ozuah NW, Lubega J, Allen CE, El-Mallawany NK. "Five decades of low intensity and low survival: adapting intensified regimens to cure pediatric Burkitt lymphoma in Africa." Blood Adv. 2020 Aug 25;4(16):4007-4019. Pubmed PMID: 32841337
- El-Mallawany NK, McClain KL. "Checkmate for EBV-HLH." Blood. 2020 Mar 12;135(11):782-784. Pubmed PMID: 32163559
- Kamiyango W, Villiera J, Silverstein A, Peckham-Gregory E, Campbell LR, El-Mallawany NK. "Navigating the heterogeneous landscape of pediatric Kaposi sarcoma." Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2019 Dec;38(4):749-758. Pubmed PMID: 31845111
- Dan L. Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Member (02/2020)
Log In to edit your profile