Sarah H Elsea, Ph.D.
Sarah H Elsea, Ph.D.
Molecular and Human Genetics
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
Global MAPS - Clinical Metabolomics
Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Center for Drug Discovery
Baylor College of Medicine
Graduate Program in Development, Disease Models & Therapeutics
- Baylor College of Medicine (Lab)
Elsea Lab, R731
One Baylor Plaza
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-5484
- Baylor Genetics (Clinic)
John P. McGovern Campus
Houston, TX 77021
- Office (Office)
One Baylor Plaza, R715
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-5484
- BS from Missouri State University
- 05/1990 - Springfield, Missouri United States
- Chemistry, Biology
- PhD from Vanderbilt University
- 05/1994 - Nashville, Tennessee United States
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship at Vanderbilt University
- 12/1994 - Nashville, Tennessee United States
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 08/1998 - Houston, Texas United States
- Human molecular genetics
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- 05/1998 - Houston, Texas United States
- Clinical Biochemical Genetics
- Clinical Biochemical Genetics
- American Board of Medical Genetics
- Molecular and biochemical basis of rare disease; genomic disorders; metabolomics; diagnostics; neurodevelopmental disorders; caregiver concerns
Professional StatementDespite many advances in the diagnosis of rare diseases, individual genetic variation and the pathophysiological mechanisms underlying these complex disorders are often poorly understood. Our research goals are to define the biochemical mechanisms and molecular pathways impacted by rare disease, particularly neurodevelopmental, neurodegenerative and neurometabolic disorders complicated by obesity and circadian rhythm defects, including autism, intellectual disability, seizures and behavioral phenotypes. Clinical and molecular analysis of neurometabolic conditions, such as citrate transporter deficiency, AADC deficiency, and SSADH deficiency and multiple genomic disorders, wherein deletion or duplication of a portion of the genome is the primary underlying etiology leading to altered gene dosage, are the primary areas of investigation in the Elsea Lab.
We are developing and translating into clinical practice personalized medicine approaches for neurodevelopmental, neurogenerative and metabolically-driven conditions utilizing genomic, metabolomic and transcriptomic approaches to improve diagnosis, disease management and quality of life for individuals with rare disease. To improve diagnosis and genomic variant interpretation and to address the need for a broad-based functional metabolic screen that goes beyond traditional testing, we developed at Baylor Genetics a clinical untargeted metabolomics pipeline for diagnosis and management of inborn errors of metabolism. Global MAPS offers a functional genomics approach to clinical genomic variant interpretation and has facilitated biomarker discovery and development of metabolomic profiles for diagnosis and therapeutic management for multiple metabolic conditions. Further supporting efforts in personalized medicine, the large-scale projects in the BCM-Human Genome Sequencing Center, such as All of Us, provide insight into genomic variation in diverse populations and facilitate personalized medicine approaches to medical care.
We incorporate multi-omics technologies to interrogate mouse, cellular, and other rare disease models. Integrating genomics, expression profiling, metabolomics, epigenetic profiling and other functional data to define the biochemical and molecular pathways that may be amenable to therapeutic targeting provides a comprehensive approach to improve diagnosis, enhance understanding of phenotypes and define the molecular and metabolic pathways altered in the disease state. Defining molecular relationships among subsets of neurodevelopmental disorders toward developing common, targeted therapeutics is a key outcome of these efforts. For example, a hallmark feature of the genomic disorder Smith-Magenis syndrome (SMS) is a circadian rhythm defect, with significant sleep disturbance and obesity. Our work has shown that RAI1 directly regulates expression of BDNF, a key player in development and metabolism, and CLOCK, a master regulator of circadian rhythm, providing strong evidence for molecular and cellular etiology behind the sleep phenotype—these data from the base knowledge for therapeutic targeting in SMS. To further support these efforts, we designed and maintain the SMS Patient Registry to collect natural history data across the lifespan. Other patient registries are also in development to further our knowledge of rare conditions and to support ongoing research efforts to bring basic research closer to the patient.
Current projects also include: (1) investigating the role of NAD kinase in both Alzheimer’s disease and pancreatic cancer toward developing personalized approaches to treatment and prevention of disease. These studies use cell culture and conditional mouse models to improve our understanding of the underlying etiology of the associated neurodegenerative and neoplastic mechanisms; (2) developing an expanded newborn screening disorder panel to improve early screening for treatable genetic conditions, reducing health disparities associated with delayed diagnosis of these rare but treatable disorders; and (3) improving genomic variant curation and interpretation to facilitate earlier diagnosis for rare disease.
- Manor J, Calame DG, Gijavanekar C, Tran A, Fatih JM, Lalani SR, Mizerik E, Parnes M, Mehta VP, Adesina AM, Lupski JR, Scaglia F, Elsea SH "Niacin therapy improves outcome and normalizes metabolic abnormalities in an NAXD-deficient patient.." Brain. 2022;145:e36-e40. Pubmed PMID: 35231119
- Thistlethwaite LR, Li X, Burrage LC, Riehle K, Hacia JG, Braverman N, Wangler MF, Miller MJ, Elsea SH, Milosavljevic A "Clinical diagnosis of metabolic disorders using untargeted metabolomic profiling and disease-specific networks learned from profiling data.." Sci Rep.. 2022;12:6556. Pubmed PMID: 35449147
- Milosavljevic S, Glinton KE, Li X, Medeiros C, Gillespie P, Seavitt JR, Graham BH, Elsea SH "Untargeted Metabolomics of Slc13a5 Deficiency Reveal Critical Liver-Brain Axis for Lipid Homeostasis.." Metabolites. 2022;12:351. Pubmed PMID: 35448538
- Gandhi AA, Wilson TA, Sisley S, Elsea SH, Foster RH "Relationships between food-related behaviors, obesity, and medication use in individuals with Smith-Magenis syndrome.." Res Dev Disabil.. 2022;127:104257. Pubmed PMID: 35597045
- Mullegama SV, Klein SD, Williams SR, Innis JW, Probst FJ, Haldeman-Englert C, Martinez-Agosto JA, Yang Y, Tian Y, Elsea SH, Ezashi T "Transcriptome analysis of MBD5-associated neurodevelopmental disorder (MAND) neural progenitor cells reveals dysregulation of autism-associated genes.." Sci Rep.. 2021;11:11295. Pubmed PMID: 34050248
- Gandhi A, Zhou D, Alaimo J, Chon E, Fountain MD, Elsea SH "Composite Sleep Problems Observed Across Smith-Magenis Syndrome, MBD5-Associated Neurodevelopmental Disorder, Pitt-Hopkins Syndrome, and ASD." J Autism Dev Disord.. 2021;51:1852-1865.
- Li X, Milosavljevic A, Elsea SH, Wang CC, Scaglia F, Syngelaki A, Nicolaides KH, Poon LC "Effective Aspirin Treatment of Women at Risk for Preeclampsia Delays the Metabolic Clock of Gestation.." Hypertension. 2021; Pubmed PMID: 34225470
- Liu N, Xiao J, Gijavanekar C, Pappan KL, Glinton KE, Shayota BJ, Kennedy AD, Sun Q, Sutton VR, Elsea SH "Comparison of Untargeted Metabolomic Profiling vs Traditional Metabolic Screening to Identify Inborn Errors of Metabolism.." JAMA Netw Open.. 2021;4:e2114155.
- Burrage LC, Thistlethwaite L, Stroup BM, Sun Q, Miller MJ, (...), Milosavljevic A, Lee BH, Elsea SH "Untargeted metabolomic profiling reveals multiple pathway perturbations and new clinical biomarkers in urea cycle disorders.." Genet Med.. 2019;21:1977-1986.
- Shayota BJ, Elsea SH "Behavior and sleep disturbance in Smith-Magenis syndrome.." Curr Opin Psychiatry.. 2019;32:73-78.
- Cappuccio G, Donti TR, Hubert L, Sun Q, Elsea SH "Opening a window on lysosomal acid lipase deficiency: Biochemical, molecular, and epidemiological insights.." J Inherit Metab Dis.. 2019;42:509-518.
- Le TN, Williams SR, Alaimo JT, Elsea SH "Genotype and phenotype correlation in 103 individuals with 2q37 deletion syndrome reveals incomplete penetrance and supports HDAC4 as the primary genetic contributor.." Am J Med Genet A. 2019;179:782-791.
- Sobering AK, Stevens JB, Smith JL, Nelson B, Donald T, Elsea SH "Genetic diagnosis of Down syndrome in an underserved community.." Am J Med Genet A.. 2018;176:483-486..
- Wangler MF, Hubert L, Donti TR, Ventura MJ, Miller MJ, Braverman N, Gawron K, Bose M, Moser AB, Jones RO, Rizzo WB, Sutton VR, Sun Q, Kennedy AD, Elsea SH "A metabolomic map of Zellweger spectrum disorders reveals novel disease biomarkers.." Genet Med.. 2018;20:1274-1283.
- Kennedy AD, Wittmann BM, Evans AM, Miller LAD, Toal DR, Lonergan S, Elsea SH, Pappan KL "Metabolomics in the clinic: A review of the shared and unique features of untargeted metabolomics for clinical research and clinical testing.." J Mass Spectrom.. 2018;53:1143-1154.
- Chen L, Jensik PJ, Alaimo JT, Walkiewicz M, Berger S, Roeder E, Faqeih EA, Bernstein JA, Smith ACM, Mullegama SV, Saffen DW, Elsea SH "Functional analysis of novel DEAF1 variants identified through clinical exome sequencing expands DEAF1-associated neurodevelopmental disorder (DAND) phenotype.." Hum Mutat.. 2017;38:1774-1785.
- Mullegama SV, Alaimo JT, Fountain MD, Burns B, Balog AH, Chen L, Elsea SH "RAI1 Overexpression Promotes Altered Circadian Gene Expression and Dyssomnia in Potocki-Lupski Syndrome.." J Pediatr Genet.. 2017;6:155-164.
- Pankowicz FP, Barzi M, Legras X, Hubert L, (...), Borowiak M, Sumazin P, Elsea SH, Bissig-Choisat B, Bissig KD "Reprogramming metabolic pathways in vivo with CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing to treat hereditary tyrosinaemia.." Nat Commun.. 2016;7:12642.
- Mullegama SV, Elsea SH "Clinical and Molecular Aspects of MBD5-Associated Neurodevelopmental Disorder (MAND).." Eur J Hum Genet.. 2016;24:1376.
- Atwal PS, Donti TR, Cardon AL, Bacino CA, Sun Q, Emrick L, Reid Sutton V, Elsea SH "Aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase deficiency diagnosed by clinical metabolomic profiling of plasma." Mol Genet Metab. 2015 Jun;115:91-4. Pubmed PMID: 25956449
- Mullegama SV, Pugliesi L, Burns B, Shah Z, Tahir R, Gu Y, Nelson DL, Elsea SH "MBD5 haploinsufficiency is associated with sleep disturbance and disrupts circadian pathways common to Smith-Magenis and fragile X syndromes." Eur J Hum Genet. 2015 Jun;23:781-9. Pubmed PMID: 25271084
- Miller MJ, Kennedy AD, Eckhart AD, Burrage LC, Wulff JE, Miller LA, Milburn MV, Ryals JA, Beaudet AL, Sun Q, Sutton VR, Elsea SH "Untargeted metabolomic analysis for the clinical screening of inborn errors of metabolism." J Inherit Metab Dis. 2015 Apr 15;38:1029-39. Pubmed PMID: 25875217
- Tahir R, Kennedy A, Elsea SH, Dickinson AJ "Retinoic acid induced-1 (Rai1) regulates craniofacial and brain development in Xenopus." Mech Dev. 2014 Aug;133:91-104. Pubmed PMID: 24878353
- Miller MJ, Soler-Alfonso CR, Grund JE, Fang P, Sun Q, Elsea SH, Sutton VR "Improved standards for prenatal diagnosis of citrullinemia." Mol Genet Metab. 2014 Jul;112(3):205-9. Pubmed PMID: 24889030
- Alaimo JT, Hahn NH, Mullegama SV, Elsea SH "Dietary regimens modify early onset of obesity in mice haploinsufficient for rai1." PLoS One. 2014 Aug 15;9(8):e10507. Pubmed PMID: 25127133
- Veatch OJ, Pendergast JS, Allen MJ, Leu RM, Johnson CH, Elsea SH, Malow BA "Genetic Variation in Melatonin Pathway Enzymes in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder and Comorbid Sleep Onset Delay." J Autism Dev Disord. 2014 Jul 25; Pubmed PMID: 25059483
- Mullegama SV, Rosenfeld JA, Orellana C, van Bon BW, ..., Elsea SH "Reciprocal deletion and duplication at 2q23.1 indicates a role for MBD5 in autism spectrum disorder." Eur J Hum Genet. 2014 Jan;22(1):57-63. Pubmed PMID: 23632792
- Lacaria M, Saha P, Potocki L, Bi W, Yan J, Girirajan S, Burns B, Elsea S, Walz K, Chan L, Lupski JR, Gu W "A Duplication CNV That Conveys Traits Reciprocal to Metabolic Syndrome and Protects against Diet-Induced Obesity in Mice and Men." PLoS Genet. 2012 May;8(5):e1002713. Pubmed PMID: 22654670
- Chung BH, Mullegama S, Marshall CR, Lionel AC, Weksberg R, Dupuis L, Brick L, Li C, Scherer SW, Aradhya S, Stavropoulos DJ, Elsea SH, Mendoza-Londono R "Severe intellectual disability and autistic features associated with microduplication 2q23.1." Eur J Hum Genet. 2012 Apr;20(4):398-403. Pubmed PMID: 22085900
- Moshier MS, York TP, Silberg JL, Elsea SH "Siblings of individuals with Smith-Magenis syndrome: an investigation of the correlates of positive and negative behavioural traits." J Intellect Disabil Res. 2012 Oct;56(10):996-1007. Pubmed PMID: 22672270
- Williams SR, Zies D, Mullegama SV, Grotewiel MS, Elsea SH "Smith-Magenis Syndrome Results in Disruption of CLOCK Gene Transcription and Reveals an Integral Role for RAI1 in the Maintenance of Circadian Rhythmicity." Am J Hum Genet. 2012 Jun 8;90(6):941-9. Pubmed PMID: 22578325
- Kim HG, Kim HT, Leach NT, Lan F, Ullmann R, et al "Translocations Disrupting PHF21A in the Potocki-Shaffer-Syndrome Region Are Associated with Intellectual Disability and Craniofacial Anomalies." Am J Hum Genet. 2012 Jul 13;91(1):56-72. Pubmed PMID: 22770980
- Elsea SH, Williams SR "Smith-Magenis syndrome: haploinsufficiency of RAI1 results in altered gene regulation in neurological and metabolic pathways." Expert Rev Mol Med. 2011;13:e14. Pubmed PMID: 21545756
- Morris B, Etoubleau C, Bourthoumieu S, Reynaud-Perrine S, Laroche C, Lebbar A, Yardin C, Elsea SH "Dose dependent expression of HDAC4 causes variable expressivity in a novel inherited case of brachydactyly mental retardation syndrome." Am J Med Genet A. 2012 Aug;158(8):2015-20. Pubmed PMID: 22753018
- Talkowski ME, Mullegama SV, Rosenfeld JA, van Bon BW, Shen Y, et al "Assessment of 2q23.1 microdeletion syndrome implicates MBD5 as a single causal locus of intellectual disability, epilepsy, and autism spectrum disorder." Am J Hum Genet. 2011 Oct 7;89(4):551-63. Pubmed PMID: 21981781
- Williams SR, Girirajan S, Tegay D, Nowak N, Hatchwell E, Elsea SH "Array comparative genomic hybridisation of 52 subjects with a Smith-Magenis-like phenotype: identification of dosage sensitive loci also associated with schizophrenia, autism, and developmental delay." J Med Genet. 2010 Apr;47(4):223-9. Pubmed PMID: 19752160
- Foster RH, Kozachek S, Stern M, Elsea SH "Caring for the caregivers: an investigation of factors related to well-being among parents caring for a child with Smith-Magenis syndrome." J Genet Couns. 2010 Apr;19(2):187-98. Pubmed PMID: 20151318
- Williams SR, Mullegama SV, Rosenfeld JA, Dagli AI, Hatchwell E, Allen WP, Williams CA, Elsea SH "Haploinsufficiency of MBD5 associated with a syndrome involving microcephaly, intellectual disabilities, severe speech impairment, and seizures." Eur J Hum Genet. 2010 Apr;18(4):436-41. Pubmed PMID: 19904302
- Burns B, Schmidt K, Williams SR, Kim S, Girirajan S, Elsea SH "Rai1 haploinsufficiency causes reduced Bdnf expression resulting in hyperphagia, obesity and altered fat distribution in mice and humans with no evidence of metabolic syndrome." Hum Mol Genet. 2010 Oct 15;19(20):4026-42. Pubmed PMID: 20663924
- Williams SR, Aldred MA, Der Kaloustian VM, Halal F, Gowans G, McLeod DR, Zondag S, Toriello HV, Magenis RE, Elsea SH "Haploinsufficiency of HDAC4 causes brachydactyly mental retardation syndrome, with brachydactyly type E, developmental delays, and behavioral problems." Am J Hum Genet. 2010 Aug 13;87(2):219-28. Pubmed PMID: 20691407
- Truong HT, Dudding T, Blanchard CL, Elsea SH "Frameshift mutation hotspot identified in Smith-Magenis syndrome: case report and review of literature." BMC Med Genet. 2010;11:142. Pubmed PMID: 20932317
- Girirajan S, Elsea SH "Abnormal maternal behavior, altered sociability, and impaired serotonin metabolism in Rai1-transgenic mice." Mamm Genome. 2009 Apr;20(4):247-55. Pubmed PMID: 19319603
- Girirajan S, Truong HT, Blanchard CL, Elsea SH "A functional network module for Smith-Magenis syndrome." Clin Genet. 2009 Apr;75(4):364-74. Pubmed PMID: 19236431
- Girirajan S, Elsea SH "Distorted Mendelian transmission as a function of genetic background in Rai1-haploinsufficient mice." Eur J Med Genet. 2009;52(4):224-8. Pubmed PMID: 19116176
- Girirajan S, Hauck PM, Williams S, Vlangos CN, Szomju BB, Solaymani-Kohal S, Mosier PD, White KL, McCoy K, Elsea SH "Tom1l2 hypomorphic mice exhibit increased incidence of infections and tumors and abnormal immunologic response." Mamm Genome. 2008 Apr;19(4):246-62. Pubmed PMID: 18343975
- Nakamine A, Ouchanov L, Jiménez P, Manghi ER, Esquivel M, Monge S, Fallas M, Burton BK, Szomju B, Elsea SH, Marshall CR, Scherer SW, McInnes LA "Duplication of 17(p11.2p11.2) in a male child with autism and severe language delay." Am J Med Genet A. 2008 Mar 1;146(5):636-43. Pubmed PMID: 17334992
- Truong HT, Solaymani-Kohal S, Baker KR, Girirajan S, Williams SR, Vlangos CN, Smith AC, Bunyan DJ, Roffey PE, Blanchard CL, Elsea SH "Diagnosing Smith-Magenis syndrome and duplication 17p11.2 syndrome by RAI1 gene copy number variation using quantitative real-time PCR." Genet Test. 2008 Mar;12(1):67-73. Pubmed PMID: 18373405
- Elsea SH, Girirajan S "Smith-Magenis syndrome." Eur J Hum Genet. 2008 Apr;16(4):412-21. Pubmed PMID: 18231123
- Girirajan S, Patel N, Slager RE, Tokarz ME, Bucan M, Wiley JL, Elsea SH "How much is too much? Phenotypic consequences of Rai1 overexpression in mice." Eur J Hum Genet. 2008 Aug;16(8):941-54. Pubmed PMID: 18285828
- Girirajan S, Mendoza-Londono R, Vlangos CN, Dupuis L, Nowak NJ, Bunyan DJ, Hatchwell E, Elsea SH "Smith-Magenis syndrome and Moyamoya disease in a patient with del(17)(p11.2p13.1)." Am J Med Genet A. 2007 May 1;143(9):999-1008. Pubmed PMID: 17431895
- Gropman AL, Elsea S, Duncan WC, Smith AC "New developments in Smith-Magenis syndrome (del 17p11.2)." Curr Opin Neurol. 2007 Apr;20(2):125-34. Pubmed PMID: 17351481
- Edelman EA, Girirajan S, Finucane B, Patel PI, Lupski JR, Smith AC, Elsea SH "Gender, genotype, and phenotype differences in Smith-Magenis syndrome: a meta-analysis of 105 cases." Clin Genet. 2007 Jun;71(6):540-50. Pubmed PMID: 17539903
- Girirajan S, Williams SR, Garbern JY, Nowak N, Hatchwell E, Elsea SH "17p11.2p12 triplication and del(17)q11.2q12 in a severely affected child with dup(17)p11.2p12 syndrome." Clin Genet. 2007 Jul;72(1):47-58. Pubmed PMID: 17594399
- Bi W, Saifi GM, Girirajan S, Shi X, Szomju B, Firth H, Magenis RE, Potocki L, Elsea SH, Lupski JR "RAI1 point mutations, CAG repeat variation, and SNP analysis in non-deletion Smith-Magenis syndrome." Am J Med Genet A. 2006 Nov 15;140(22):2454-63. Pubmed PMID: 17041942
- Girirajan S, Vlangos CN, Szomju BB, Edelman E, Trevors CD, Dupuis L, Nezarati M, Bunyan DJ, Elsea SH "Genotype-phenotype correlation in Smith-Magenis syndrome: evidence that multiple genes in 17p11.2 contribute to the clinical spectrum." Genet Med. 2006 Jul;8(7):417-27. Pubmed PMID: 16845274
- Barry E, Derhammer T, Elsea SH "Prevalence of three hereditary hemochromatosis mutant alleles in the Michigan Caucasian population.." Community Genet. 2005;8(3):173-9. Pubmed PMID: 16113534
- Smith AC, Magenis RE, Elsea SH "Overview of Smith-Magenis syndrome." J Assoc Genet Technol. 2005;31(4):163-7. Pubmed PMID: 16354942
- Girirajan S, Elsea SH "Brachydactyly A1: new relatives for old families?." J. Genet.. 2005 Aug;84(2):95-8. Pubmed PMID: 16131709
- Girirajan S, Elsas LJ, Devriendt K, Elsea SH "RAI1 variations in Smith-Magenis syndrome patients without 17p11.2 deletions." J Med Genet. 2005 Nov;42(11):820-8. Pubmed PMID: 15788730
- Vlangos CN, Wilson M, Blancato J, Smith AC, Elsea SH "Diagnostic FISH probes for del(17)(p11.2p11.2) associated with Smith-Magenis syndrome should contain the RAI1 gene." Am J Med Genet A. 2005 Jan 30;132(3):278-82. Pubmed PMID: 15690371
- Slager RE, Newton TL, Vlangos CN, Finucane B, Elsea SH "Mutations in RAI1 associated with Smith-Magenis syndrome." Nat Genet. 2003 Apr;33(4):466-8. Pubmed PMID: 12652298
- Vlangos CN, Yim DK, Elsea SH "Refinement of the Smith-Magenis syndrome critical region to approximately 950kb and assessment of 17p11.2 deletions. Are all deletions created equally?." Mol Genet Metab. 2003 Jun;79(2):134-41. Pubmed PMID: 12809645
- Elsea SH, Lucas RE "The mousetrap: what we can learn when the mouse model does not mimic the human disease.." ILAR J. 2002;43(2):66-79. Pubmed PMID: 11917158
- Smith AC, Gropman AL, Bailey-Wilson JE, Goker-Alpan O, Elsea SH, Blancato J, Lupski JR, Potocki L "Hypercholesterolemia in children with Smith-Magenis syndrome: del (17) (p11.2p11.2)." Genet Med. 2002;4(3):118-25. Pubmed PMID: 12180145
- Lucas RE, Vlangos CN, Das P, Patel PI, Elsea SH "Genomic organisation of the approximately 1.5 Mb Smith-Magenis syndrome critical interval: transcription map, genomic contig, and candidate gene analysis." Eur J Hum Genet. 2001 Dec;9(12):892-902. Pubmed PMID: 11840190
- Frühwald MC, O'Dorisio MS, Dai Z, Rush LJ, Krahe R, Smiraglia DJ, Pietsch T, Elsea SH, Plass C "Aberrant hypermethylation of the major breakpoint cluster region in 17p11.2 in medulloblastomas but not supratentorial PNETs.." Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2001 Jan;30(1):38-47. Pubmed PMID: 11107174
- Elsea SH, Leykam V "HFE polymorphism and accurate diagnosis of C282Y hereditary hemochromatosis carriers.." Blood. 2000 Apr 1;95(7):2453-5. Pubmed PMID: 10787240
- Vlangos CN, Das P, Patel PI, Elsea SH "Assignment of developmentally regulated GTP-binding protein (DRG2) to human chromosome band 17p11.2 with somatic cell hybrids and localization to the Smith-Magenis syndrome critical interval.." Cytogenet. Cell Genet.. 2000;88(41337):283-5. Pubmed PMID: 10828610
- Elsea SH, Clark IB, Juyal RC, Meyer DJ, Meyer DI, Patel PI "Assignment of beta-centractin (CTRN2) to human chromosome 2 bands q11.1-->q11.2 with somatic cell hybrids and in situ hybridization.." Cytogenet. Cell Genet.. 1999;84(41276):48-9. Pubmed PMID: 10343100
- Elsea SH, Mykytyn K, Ferrell K, Coulter KL, Das P, Dubiel W, Patel PI, Metherall JE "Hemizygosity for the COP9 signalosome subunit gene, SGN3, in the Smith-Magenis syndrome.." Am. J. Med. Genet.. 1999 Dec 3;87(4):342-8. Pubmed PMID: 10588842
- Sun D, Elsea SH, Patel PI, Funk CD "Cloning of a human epidermal-type" 12-lipoxygenase-related gene and chromosomal localization to 17p13."." Cytogenet. Cell Genet.. 1998;81(1):79-82. Pubmed PMID: 9691181
- Sun D, McDonnell M, Chen XS, Lakkis MM, Li H, Isaacs SN, Elsea SH, Patel PI, Funk CD "Human 12(R)-lipoxygenase and the mouse ortholog. Molecular cloning, expression, and gene chromosomal assignment.." J. Biol. Chem.. 1998 Dec 11;273(50):33540-7. Pubmed PMID: 9837935
- Elsea SH, Fritz E, Schoener-Scott R, Meyn MS, Patel PI "Gene for topoisomerase III maps within the Smith-Magenis syndrome critical region: analysis of cell-cycle distribution and radiation sensitivity.." Am. J. Med. Genet.. 1998 Jan 6;75(1):104-8. Pubmed PMID: 9450867
- Fritz E, Elsea SH, Patel PI, Meyn MS "Overexpression of a truncated human topoisomerase III partially corrects multiple aspects of the ataxia-telangiectasia phenotype.." Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.. 1997 Apr 29;94(9):4538-42. Pubmed PMID: 9114025
- Elsea SH, Westergaard M, Burden DA, Lomenick JP, Osheroff N "Quinolones share a common interaction domain on topoisomerase II with other DNA cleavage-enhancing antineoplastic drugs.." Biochemistry. 1997 Mar 11;36(10):2919-24. Pubmed PMID: 9062121
- Elsea SH, Purandare SM, Adell RA, Juyal RC, Davis JG, Finucane B, Magenis RE, Patel PI "Definition of the critical interval for Smith-Magenis syndrome.." Cytogenet. Cell Genet.. 1997;79(41337):276-81. Pubmed PMID: 9605871
- Juyal RC, Figuera LE, Hauge X, Elsea SH, Lupski JR, Greenberg F, Baldini A, Patel PI "Molecular analyses of 17p11.2 deletions in 62 Smith-Magenis syndrome patients." Am J Hum Genet. 1996 May;58(5):998-1007. Pubmed PMID: 8651284
- Hsiung Y, Elsea SH, Osheroff N, Nitiss JL "A mutation in yeast TOP2 homologous to a quinolone-resistant mutation in bacteria. Mutation of the amino acid homologous to Ser83 of Escherichia coli gyrA alters sensitivity to eukaryotic topoisomerase inhibitors.." J. Biol. Chem.. 1995 Sep 1;270(35):20359-64. Pubmed PMID: 7657608
- Froelich-Ammon SJ, Burden DA, Patchan MW, Elsea SH, Thompson RB, Osheroff N "Increased drug affinity as the mechanistic basis for drug hypersensitivity of a mutant type II topoisomerase.." J. Biol. Chem.. 1995 Nov 24;270(47):28018-21. Pubmed PMID: 7499285
- Elsea SH, Juyal RC, Jiralerspong S, Finucane BM, Pandolfo M, Greenberg F, Baldini A, Stover P, Patel PI "Haploinsufficiency of cytosolic serine hydroxymethyltransferase in the Smith-Magenis syndrome." Am J Hum Genet. 1995 Dec;57(6):1342-50. Pubmed PMID: 8533763
- Elsea SH, Hsiung Y, Nitiss JL, Osheroff N "A yeast type II topoisomerase selected for resistance to quinolones. Mutation of histidine 1012 to tyrosine confers resistance to nonintercalative drugs but hypersensitivity to ellipticine.." J. Biol. Chem.. 1995 Jan 27;270(4):1913-20. Pubmed PMID: 7829529
- Linnik MD, Butler BT, Elsea SH, Ahmed NK "Analysis of neurogenic contractions induced by ML-1035 and other benzamides in the guinea-pig non-stimulated isolated ileum.." J. Pharm. Pharmacol.. 1994 Jun;46(6):491-6. Pubmed PMID: 7932045
- Osheroff N, Corbett AH, Elsea SH, Westergaard M "Defining functional drug-interaction domains on topoisomerase II by exploiting mechanistic differences between drug classes.." Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol.. 1994;34:S19-25. Pubmed PMID: 8070023
- Elsea SH, McGuirk PR, Gootz TD, Moynihan M, Osheroff N "Drug features that contribute to the activity of quinolones against mammalian topoisomerase II and cultured cells: correlation between enhancement of enzyme-mediated DNA cleavage in vitro and cytotoxic potential.." Antimicrob. Agents Chemother.. 1993 Oct;37(10):2179-86. Pubmed PMID: 8257142
- Elsea SH, Osheroff N, Nitiss JL "Cytotoxicity of quinolones toward eukaryotic cells. Identification of topoisomerase II as the primary cellular target for the quinolone CP-115,953 in yeast.." J. Biol. Chem.. 1992 Jul 5;267(19):13150-3. Pubmed PMID: 1320012
- Kuo BS, Kusmik WF, Poole JC, Elsea SH, Chang J, Hwang KK "Pharmacokinetic evaluation of two human epidermal growth factors (hEGF51 and hEGF53) in rats.." Drug Metab. Dispos..;20(1):23-30. Pubmed PMID: 1346992
Log In to edit your profile