Savitri Fedson, M.D., M.A.
Savitri Fedson, M.D., M.A.
Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- BCM-Jewish Institute for Research (Office)
Houston, TX 77030
- MD from University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Charlottesville, Virginia United States
- MA from The University of Chicago
- Chicago, Illinois United States
- Intellectual History
- Ethics of advanced heart failure and mechanical circulatory support/transplant; ethics in education
Professional StatementSavitri Fedson, MD, MA, is a Professor of Medicine and Clinical Ethics at the Michael E. DeBakey Houston VA Medical Center and the Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy at Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Fedson is the medical director of the advanced heart failure/transplant program and Co-Chair of the Ethics Committee at the DeBakey VA.
Her research interests are in antibody mediated rejection, patient reported outcomes with decision making and the impact of frailty and physical conditioning in heart failure. Dr. Fedson also has interests in the ethics of scare resource allocation, the intersection of individual autonomy and public health, and patients’ decisions to discontinue device support.
She has been a speaker at national and international heart failure and transplant meetings on topics such the integration of palliative care in cardiovascular disease, ethical dilemmas in candidacy for heart and multiorgan transplantation, and device termination for mechanical circulatory support.
- Kirkpatrick JN, Hull SC, Fedson S, Mullen B, Goodlin SJ. "Allocating Scarce Resources and Triaging Patients during the COVID-19 Pandemic." J Am Coll Cardiol..2020/May8;(Online ahead of print.): Pubmed PMID: 32407772
- Malek J, Bibler TM, Childress A, Crist J, Fedson S, Horner C, Moore B, Nelson R. "Critical Conversations: Say This, Not That." Chest.2020/May3;(Online ahead of print.): Pubmed PMID: 32376149
- Fedson S. "Discrete choice experiments: an insight into what patients prefer." Heart.2019/May;105(10):738-739. Pubmed PMID: 30765422
- Bruce CR, Bibler T, Childress A, Fedson S. "Legislating how critical care physicians discuss and implement do-not-resuscitate orders.." J Crit Care..2018;44:549-461. Pubmed PMID: 29287932
- Addetia K, Uriel N, Maffessanti F, Sayer G, Adatya S, Kim G, Sarswat N, Fedson S, Medvodofsy D, Kruse E, Collins K, Rodgers R, Ota T, Jeevanandam V, Mor-Avi V, Burkhoff D, Lang R "3D Morphological Changes in LV and RV During LVAD Ramp Studies." JACC Cardiovasc Imaging.. 2018 February ; 11 (2 PT 1): 159-169. Pubmed PMID: 28412431
- Parker WF, Garrity ER Jr, Fedson S, Churpek MM. "Trends in the Use of Inotropes to List Adult Heart Transplant Candidates at Status 1A." Circ Heart Fail. 2017 10 (12): Pubmed PMID: 29246896
- Bruce CR, Bibler T, Childress A, Fedson S. "Legislating Medicine: The Need for Evidence, Argument, and Alliance." 2017 46 (5): 788-790. Pubmed PMID: 29252931
- Grinstein J, Kruse E, Sayer G, Fedson S, Kim GH, Jorde UP, Juricek C, Ota T, Jeevanandam V, Lang RM, Uriel N. "Accurate Quantification Methods for Aortic Insufficiency Severity in Patients With Left Ventricular Assist Devices: Role of Diastolic Flow Acceleration and Systolic-to-Diastolic Peak Velocity Ratio of LVAD Outflow Cannula.." JACC Cardiovasc Imaging.. 2015 December 7; : Pubmed PMID: 26684975
- Uriel N, Sayer G, Addetia K, Fedson S, Kim GH, Rodgers D, Kruse E, Collins K, Adatya S, Sarswat N, Jorde UP, Juricek C, Ota T, Jeevanandam V, Burkhoff D, Lang RM. "Hemodynamic Ramp Tests in Patients With Left Ventricular Assist Devices.." JACC Heart Fail.. 2015 December 24; : Pubmed PMID: 26746378
- "The International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation Guidelines for the care of heart transplant recipients.." J Heart Lung Transplant.. 2010 August ; 29 (8): 914-56. Pubmed PMID: 20643330
- Kirkpatrick JN, Fedson SE, Verdino R. "Ethical dilemmas in device treatment for advanced heart failure.." Curr Opin Support Palliat Care.. 2007 December ; 1 (4): 267-73. Pubmed PMID: 18685373
Log In to edit your profile