Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Baylor College of Medicine
- St. Luke's - The Woodlands (Clinic)
17200 St. Luke's Way
The Woodlands, TX 77384
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, Texas
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Residency at Baylor College of Medicine
- Houston, Texas
- General Surgery
- MD from Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine
- College Station, TX
- BS from University of Dallas
- Irving, TX
- American Board of General Surgery
- Minimally Invasive and Robotic Cardiac Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- TransCatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
- Thoracic Surgery
Professional StatementVivek Patel, M.D., is a cardiothoracic surgeon with Baylor College of Medicine and works at St. Luke’s Health- The Woodlands Hospital. Dr. Patel completed general surgery and cardiothoracic surgery training at Baylor College of Medicine over a period of 10 years. During this time, he also completed a two-year fellowship in the Laboratory for Cardiac Regeneration.
He also served as the executive administrative chief cardiothoracic surgery resident. In order to help improve the education of fellow residents, he developed a Cardiothoracic Surgery Resident Guidebook and Operative Casebook.
Dr. Patel has published numerous abstracts, manuscripts and textbook chapters in clinical and basic science research, while also filing a patent for a novel strategy for cardiac regeneration.
His research efforts had led to several national presentations at the Society of Vascular Surgery Conference, South Texas ACS meeting, Cardiovascular Research Institute at Baylor College of Medicine, American Association for Thoracic Surgery and more.
- Patel V, Singh VP, Pinnamaneni JP, Sanagasetti D, Olive J, Mathison M, Cooney A, Flores ER, Crystal RG, Yang J, Rosengart TK "p63 Silencing Induces Reprogramming of Cardiac Fibroblasts into Cardiomyocyte-Like Cells." JTCVS.;: Pubmed PMID: 29716728
- Patel V, Gray Z, Alam M, Silva GV, Simpson L, Liao K "Peripheral Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Support Expands the Application of Robotic Assisted Coronary Artery Bypass." JTCVS Techniques.;:
- Patel V, Jneid H, Cornwell L, Kherallah R, Preventza O, Rosengart TK, Amin A, Khalid M, Paniagua D, Denktas A, Patel A, McClafferty A, Jimenez E "Left Ventricle Mass Regression after Surgical or Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement in Veterans." Annals of Thoracic Surgery.;:
- Patel V, Jimenez E, Cornwell L, Tran T, Paniagua D, Denktas AE, Chou A, Hankins SJ, Bozkurt B, Rosengart TK, Jneid H "Cardiac Surgery During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pandemic: Perioperative Considerations and Triage Recommendations." JAHA.;: Pubmed PMID: 32418460
- Patel V, Mathison M, Singh VP, Yang J, Rosengart TK "Direct Cardiac Cellular Reprogramming for Cardiac Regeneration." Curr Treat Options Cardio Med. : Pubmed PMID: 27554127
- Patel V, Ryan C, Crystal R, Rosengart TK "Gene Therapy for Coronary Artery Disease." Cardiac Surgery-Complete Guide. :
- Patel V, Mathison M, Singh VP, Yang J, Rosengart TK "Cardiac Regenerative Strategies for Advanced Heart Failure." Mechanical Circulatory Support for Advanced Heart Failure: A Texas Heart Institute Approach. : 221-238.
- p63 Inactivation for the Treatment of Heart Failure
- Method Patent
- Docket No.: BAYM.P0154US.P1 International Application Number: PCT/US2016/018735 International Publication Number: WO 2016/134293 A1
- Co Inventors: Hongran Wang, Vivek Singh, Erin Lynn Reineke, Megumi Mathison, Xueping Xu, Austin J. Cooney, Todd Rosengart
Log In to edit your profile