Yingbin Fu, Ph.D.
Yingbin Fu, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - Sarah Campbell Blaffer Endowed Chair
- Associate Professor - Sarah Campbell Blaffer Endowed Chair
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Neurosensory Center (Office)
Room: NEUR-C 506
Houston, TX 77030
- PhD from Michigan State University
- 05/1998 - Lansing, Michigan United States
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- 05/2006 - Baltimore, Maryland United States
- Visual Neurophysiology
- BS from Peking University
- 05/1991 - Beijing, China
Honors & Awards
- Audacious Goals Challenge Prize
- National Eye Institute (02/2013)
- The Helen Juanita Reed Award for Macular Degeneration Research
- BrightFocus Foundation (04/2018)
- 2021 NEI Audacious Goals Initiative Grant Award
- National Eye Institute (09/2021 - 08/2026)
- Protein trafficking
- Retinal degeneration including retinitis pigmentosa & age-related macular degeneration
- Gene editing based therapy
Professional Statement• The Fu lab is interested in using the visual system to study sensory transduction, the biological mechanisms underlying various types of neurodegeneration, and to develop innovative treatment strategies. Recently, the Fu lab has made significant progress toward the understanding of two blinding diseases: Leber congenital amaurosis (LCA), the most severe retinal dystrophy in early childhood, and age-related macular degeneration (AMD), the leading cause of irreversible blindness in the elderly. The PI has won the National Institute of Health/National Eye Institute Audacious Goals Challenge Awards (https://rebrand.ly/nih-award1; https://rebrand.ly/nei-award1).
The Fu lab is particularly interested in using the visual system to address post-genomic era challenges (e.g. translate enormous genetic information to functional information). We place emphasis in "Translational Research": from “discovering mechanisms” to “developing innovative treatment strategies” to “moving into clinical trials”. Due to the translational nature of our research, students and postdocs will have good employment opportunities in both academia and industry. With diverse research projects (from basic to translational), there is ample opportunity for incoming students. We welcome rotation students!
The Fu lab is currently has one position open for a postdoc/research associate. Highly motivated candidates who are interested in addressing major health challenges facing our modern society are encouraged to apply.
- Kumar S, Nakashizuka H, Jones A, Lambert A, Zhao X, Shen M, Parker M, Wang S, Berriochoa Z, Fnu A, VanBeuge S, Chévez-Barrios P, Tso M, Rainier J, Fu Y. "Proteolytic Degradation and Inflammation Play Critical Roles in Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy." Am J Pathol..2017/December20;187(12):2841-2857. Pubmed PMID: 28941979
- Zhang T, Cao LH, Kumar S, Enemchukwu NO, Zhang N, Lambert A, Zhao X, Jones A, Wang S, Dennis EM, Fnu A, Ham S, Rainier J, Yau KW, Fu Y "Dimerization of visual pigments in vivo.." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A..2016/July26;: Pubmed PMID: 27462111
- Zhang T, Enemchukwu NO, Jones A, Wang S, Dennis E, Watt CB, Pugh EN Jr, Fu Y. "Genetic deletion of S-opsin prevents rapid cone degeneration in a mouse model of Leber congenital amaurosis.." Hum Mol Genet..2015/March15;24(6):1755-63. Pubmed PMID: 25416279
- Jones A, Kumar S, Zhang N, Tong Z, Yang JH, Watt C, Anderson J, Amrita, Fillerup H, McCloskey M, Luo L, Yang Z, Ambati B, Marc R, Oka C, Zhang K, Fu Y. "Increased expression of multifunctional serine protease, HTRA1, in retinal pigment epithelium induces polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy in mice.." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A..2011/August30;108(35):14578-83. Pubmed PMID: 21844367
- Zhang T, Zhang N, Baehr W, Fu Y. "Cone opsin determines the time course of cone photoreceptor degeneration in Leber congenital amaurosis.." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.. 2014 May 24; 108 (21): 8879-84. Pubmed PMID: 21555576
- Fu Y, Kefalov V, Luo DG, Xue T, Yau KW. "Quantal noise from human red cone pigment.." Nat Neurosci.. 2008 May ; 11 (5): 565-71. Pubmed PMID: 18425122
- Kumar S, Berriochoa Z, Ambati BK, Fu Y. "Angiographic features of transgenic mice with increased expression of human serine protease HTRA1 in retinal pigment epithelium.." Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci.. 2014 May 22; 55 (6): 3482-50. Pubmed PMID: 24854852
- Zhu L, Parker M, Enemchukwu N, Shen M, Zhang G, Yan Q, Handa J, Fang L, and Fu Y "Combination of apolipoprotein-A-I/apolipoprotein-A-I binding protein and anti-VEGF treatment overcomes anti-VEGF resistance in choroidal neovascularization in mice." 2020 July 16; 3 (1): 386. Pubmed PMID: 32678293
- Xu H, Enemchukwu N, Zhong X, Zhang O, and Fu Y "Deletion of M-opsin prevents “M cone” degeneration in a mouse model of Leber congenital amaurosis." Am J Pathol .. 2020 May ; 190 (5): 1059-1067. Pubmed PMID: 32084365
- Xu H, Jin N, Chuang J-Z, Zhang Zhao, Zhong X, Zhang Zhijing, Sung C-H, Ribelayga CP, Fu Y "Visual pigment–deficient cones survive and mediate visual signaling despite the lack of outer segments." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.. 2022 March 1; 119 (9): Pubmed PMID: 35197287
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Log In to edit your profile