About the Core
The In Vivo Neurophysiology Core provides functional analysis of neural circuitry in animal models of neurological diseases to investigators in BCM/IDDRC/TCH and others from unaffiliated institutions. Current services include recordings and analysis of cortical/subcortical electroencephalogram (video-EEG), electromyogram (EMG), hippocampal synaptic plasticity (e.g., in vivo LTP), and deep brain stimulation (DBS) in freely-moving mice.
We also provide free consultation for in vivo electrophysiology and customized E-Phys analysis in mouse models.
B) In vivo electrophysiological services. Stimulating electrodes are implanted in the perforant path. The recording electrode is targeted to the hilus of the dentate gyrus. The typical response in this pathway includes an upward field EPSP followed by a population spike. credit: J. Tang
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS)
- In vivo LTP
- Mouse surgery
Recent Publications from the Core:
- Szu-Ying Yeh, Wei-Hsiang Huang, Wei Wang, Christopher S. Ward, Eugene S. Chao, Zhenyu Wu,...and Huda Y. Zoghbi. 2017. Respiratory Network Stability and Modulatory Response to Substance P Require Nalcn. Neuron, 94: 294-303.
- Jiani Yin, Wu Chen, Hongxing Yang, Mingshan Xue, and Christian P. Schaaf. 2017. Chrna7 deficient mice manifest no consistent neuropsychiatric and behavioral phenotypes. Sci. Rep. 7: 1-10. PMCID: PMC5206704
- Joshua J. White and Roy V. Sillitoe. 2017. Genetic silencing of olivocerebellar synapses causes dystonia-like behavior in mice. Nat. Commun., 10;79:1.28.1-1.28.24. doi: 10.1002/cpns.28.
- Xiangling Meng, Wei Wang, Hui Lu, Ling-jie He, Wu Chen,...Jianrong Tang, Mingshan Xue, and Huda Y. Zoghbi. 2016. Manipulations of MeCP2 in glutamatergic neurons highlight their contributions to Rett and other neurological disorders. eLife, pii: e14199
- Kerstin Ure, Hui Lu, Wei Wang, Aya Ito-Ishida,...Jianrong Tang, and Huda Y. Zoghbi. 2016. Restoration of Mecp2 expression in GABAergic neurons is sufficient to rescue multiple disease features in a mouse model of Rett Syndrome. eLife, pii: e14198.
- Hui Lu, Ryan T. Ash, Lingjie He,...Huda Y. Zoghbi. 2016. Loss and gain of MeCP2 cause similar hippocampal circuit dysfunction that is rescued by deep brain stimulation in a Rett syndrome mouse model. Neuron, 91: 739-747.
- Cristian A. Lasagna-Reeves, Maria de Haro, Shuang Hao, Jeehye Park...Jianrong Tang, Juan Botas, and Huda Y. Zoghbi. 2016. Reduction of Nuak1 decreases tau and reverses phenotypes in a tauopathy mouse model. Neuron, 92: 407-418.
- Shuang Hao, Bin Tang, Zhenyu Wu,...Rodney C. Samaco, Huda Y. Zoghbi and Jianrong Tang. 2015. Forniceal deep brain stimulation rescues hippocampal memory in Rett syndrome mice. Nature, 526: 430-434.
- Yehezkel Sztainberg, Hongmei Chen, John W. Swann, Shuang Hao,...Zhandong Liu, Frank Rigo and Huda Y. Zoghbi. 2015. Reversal of phenotypes in MECP2 duplication mice using genetic rescue or antisense oligos. Nature, 528: 123-126.
We ask that users acknowledge the use of this core as follows:
"The project described was supported in part by the Neuroconnectivity Core at Baylor College of Medicine, which is supported by IDDRC Grant Number P50103555 from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development or the National Institutes of Health”.