Students seeking to explore their interest in ophthalmology have a variety of electives available to choose from at BCM.
The following 4-week pre-clinical elective is available:
- MEOPH 517 - Eyeing Ophthalmology Subspecialties
The following 2 or 4-week clinical electives are available:
- MEOPH 200 - Ophthalmology - BTH - 2 week
- MEOPH 201 - Ophthalmology - VAMC - 2 week
- MEOPH 512 - Pediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus
- MEOPH 514 - Vitreoretinal Surgery
- MEOPH 515 - Neuro-Ophthalmology
- MEOPH 516A - Diseases of the Eye: Cataract and Refractive Errors
- MEOPH 516B - Diseases of the Eye: Cornea and Anterior Segment
- MEOPH 516C - Diseases of the Eye: Ocular Surface Disease and Dry Eye
- MEOPH 516D - Oculoplastic, Lid, & Orbital Diseases
- MEOPH 516E - Glaucoma
In addition, BCM students have the opportunity to apply for a research elective upon identifying a faculty mentor.
Information regarding course objectives, contact information, prerequisite courses, and more are available on the Elective Catalog and Blackboard (Course ID: 2018_MEOPH_EL-CL). Additional information on BCM elective policies and enrollment procedures can be found on the BCM Elective Program webpage.
Enrollment in electives away from Baylor is typically performed through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities program (VSLO). More information and policies on applying for away opportunities are available on the Enrollment Procedures webpage and Blackboard (SOM Curriculum & Student Affairs page).
Visiting Medical Students
Visiting medical students may enroll for ophthalmology electives at Baylor College of Medicine through Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO). All BCM ophthalmology clinical electives are available to visiting medical students through VSLO, except for MEOPH 200 (Ophthalmology – BTH – 2 week), MEOPH 201 (Ophthalmology - VAMC - 2 week), MEOPH 514 (Vitreoretinal Surgery), and MEOPH 515 (Neuro-Ophthalmology). Visiting medical students are encouraged to apply broadly for clinical electives, as there may be limited availability.
For any additional questions regarding ophthalmology away elective opportunities, please contact BCM Office of Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org or (713) 798-7766. Students from schools other than Baylor College of Medicine must have completed all elective course required prerequisites.
BCM medical students are required to take selective rotations as part of their clinical coursework; in addition to the required four-week didactic series, students choose between 2 of the following 4 two-week clinical selectives: Ophthalmology, Orthopedic Surgery, Otolaryngology, Urology. Additional information regarding the ophthalmology selective course and its requirements are available on Blackboard (Course-ID: Selective_Group-A_16).
Ophthalmology Interest Group
- AUPO Medical Student Resources
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Medical Student Resources
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Residency Match Basics
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Minority Ophthalmology Mentoring Program
- SF Match Website
- BCM Ophthalmology Interest Group
- BCM NICER Program
- Student Opportunities for Advancement in Research Presentation & Conference Opportunities
- Student Opportunities for Advancement in Research Travel Awards
To view more resources for BCM medical students including faculty availability for shadowing and research, sign-up for research opportunities, and more, visit the Ophthalmology elective Blackboard page additional resources section (Course ID: 2018_MEOPH_EL-CL).