The department has 38,000 square feet in the Cullen Eye Institute dedicated to basic and clinical research.
The space comprises five major laboratories:
- Sid W. Richardson Ocular Microbiology Laboratory
- Molecular Virology Laboratory
- Retina Research Laboratory
- Ocular Surface Center
- Ocular Pathology Laboratory
The research space has three core modules supported by the department's National Eye Institute Core Grant for Vision Research:
- Ophthalmic Microsurgical Laboratory
- Seven-station wet lab teaching facility
- Animal experimental surgery laboratory
Investigators also have access to the Center for Comparative Medicine-Neurosensory Facility on the fifth floor of the Neurosensory Center, which comprises 9,828 square feet for animal care and research.
In addition, the department has dedicated space in the Clinical Care Center of Texas Children's Hospital for support of clinical trials.