In addition to the core curriculum, we provide supplementary courses and hands-on workshops to augment your education and sharpen your skills. Also, view the residents page and educational activities.
Residents enjoy protected time for research, to attend seminars, and to present at national conferences. They participate in the AAPM&R SAE each year. Additional experiences include caring for injured athletes at the Houston Marathon, other athletic events in Houston and the surrounding area, and community rehabilitation experience at the Texas Rehabilitation Services Volunteer Program (RSVP).
Our program offers teaching in all the required areas of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Our nationally recognized faculty provide specialty training in spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, pain management, and musculoskeletal rehabilitation. Residents are exposed to rotations in pediatric rehabilitation, sports rehabilitation, cancer rehabilitation, cardiac rehabilitation, electrodiagnostics and rehabilitation of veterans, among others.
Our program offers teaching in all the required areas of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Our nationally recognized faculty provide specialty training in spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injury, stroke rehabilitation, pain management, pediatric rehabilitation, and musculoskeletal rehabilitation. Residents are exposed to a variety of different clinical settings including a nationally recognized inpatient rehabilitation facility (TIRR Memorial Hermann), the largest veterans affairs hospitals in the country (HOU MED VAMC), one of the perennial leaders in pediatric care (Texas Children's Hospital), a robust county based tertiary system (Ben Taub Hospital in Harris Health), and a leading private affiliated academic hospital (Baylor-St Luke’s).
Every resident will have the following experiences:
- At least 12 months of inpatient rehabilitation experience
- At least 12 months of outpatient rehabilitation experience with a focus on spasticity management, musculoskeletal-sports, and pain medicine, exclusive of EMG experience
- Four to five months of EMG experience (residents will exceed the required 200 EMGs during their training)
- Three to Five months of rehabilitation consultation experience
- Three to Four months of pediatric rehabilitation experience
- Several core rotations where senior residents are given opportunity to have teaching roles to junior residents
Sample Rotation Schedule
|VA Musculoskeletal - Spine||VA Musculoskeletal - Spine||VA Musculoskeletal - Spine|
|VA Electrodiagnostics||VA Electrodiagnostics||VA Electrodiagnostics|
|Gulfgate Clinic||Gulfgate Clinic||Gulfgate Clinic|
|Ben Taub Consults||Ben Taub Consults||Ben Taub Consults|
|McNair Inpatient||McNair Inpatient||McNair Inpatient|
|3 months VA Spinal Cord Injury||Smith Clinic Electrodiagnostics||Smith Clinic Electrodiagnostics|
|3 Months TIRR||Texas Children’s PM&R Outpatient||TIRR Oupatient|
|VA General Rehab||Texas Children’s PM&R inpatient||Texas Children’s Musculoskeletal - Sports|
|Texas Children’s Musculoskeletal - Sports||St Luke’s Consults|
|2 months TIRR||VA Selective|
|McNair Pain & Spine||McNair Musculoskeletal - Sports|
Call responsibilities vary by rotation site however all are taken as home call and none require overnight stay. Residents average four-six days of call (inclusive of weekday and weekend call) per month during their PGY-2 and PGY-3 years. Residents average two-four days of call (inclusive of weekday and weekend call) per month during their PGY-4 year.
- Includes physical exam and PM&R emergencies workshops
- Stroke and TBI
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Includes procedural workshop
- Sports and MSK
- Includes MSK ultrasound component
- Pediatric Rehab
- Pain Medicine
- Includes spine and peripheral joint injection workshop
- Rheumatic Diseases
- Rehabilitation in Special Populations
- Introduction to PM&R Lecture Series
- Anatomy Lecture Series with Cadaver Lab Correlate
- Journal Clubs for Sports Medicine and Spasticity
- Review of sentinel PM&R articles
- Monthly Grand Rounds
- Resident Research Course
- William Donovan, M.D. Critical Review of the Literature
- Yearly Quality Improvement Projects
The BCM PM&R education program offers fellowships in brain injury, spinal cord injury, and pediatric rehabilitation.