The Core Pediatrics Clerkship (6 credits) is a six-week clinical rotation designed to develop students' skills in diagnosis and management of acute and chronic illness in children. Students have access to a diverse number of patients in a variety of inpatient and outpatient settings through our affiliations with Texas Children’s Hospital, Children’s Hospital of San Antonio, and many local pediatrics clinics.
The clinical experiences in the core clerkship include three weeks of inpatient instruction and three weeks of outpatient instruction.
- Community Pediatrics (two weeks)
- Multiple clinics in Houston OR Children’s Hospital of San Antonio Clinics
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine (one week)
- Texas Children’s Hospital Main Campus AND Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus
- Pediatric Hospital Medicine (two weeks)
- Texas Children’s Hospital Main Campus, Texas Children’s Hospital West Campus, or Children’s Hospital of San Antonio
- Newborn Medicine (one week)
- Texas Children’s Hospital Pavilion for Women or Ben Taub General Hospital
Students also have the opportunity to attend numerous teaching conferences, a special core clerkship lecture series, and a procedures session.
Baylor Medical Student Elective Program
The Department of Pediatrics offers a wide variety of clinical electives in pediatrics and pediatric subspecialties to medical students. Clinical electives are offered in pediatric subspecialties, critical care units, and the emergency center. The department also offers preclinical and nonclinical pediatric electives.