We are committed to training residents to become psychiatrists who impact our field and our communities. This ability depends on experiences in a diverse community of teammates, colleagues and patients. We are committed to equity in our program and department, fostering inclusion in our learner community, and growing our opportunities to treat patients from diverse backgrounds and in diverse settings.
- Our education prioritizes knowledge of health care disparities, training in cultural humility and micro-aggressions, and the important history of discrimination in Psychiatry (including but not limited to bias based on race, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, socio-economic status).
- Our community fosters a climate of respect, integrity, inclusion, and open dialogue between individuals from different lived experiences and (including but not limited to those from different, ethnic, sexual orientation, religious, geographic, socio-economic, and racial backgrounds).
- Our recruitment efforts prioritize holistic review and seek to welcome residents and faculty who come from different backgrounds and experiences.
- Our diverse faculty not only benefit our educational community but also serve as mentors and educational consultants to residents who may need additional support.
Health Equity Curriculum
Integrated Health Equity curriculum – This seminar series includes self-study modules from a compiled Mental Health Equity video library database, individual and group mentorship, and a longitudinal QI series.
- PGY1 topics: Introduction to Social Justice, Quality Improvement 1st session, Addressing Exposure to Bias in clinical settings.
- PGY2 topics: Gender and Sexual Orientation (Health Inequities), Creation of Inclusive culture, safe spaces, Privilege, History of Race within medicine and Psychiatry, Quality Improvement 2nd session.
- PGY3 topics: Advocacy, Structural Competency, Social Determinants of Health and Mental Health, Mental Health Equity focused Quality Improvement principles part 3.
- PGY4 topics: ASD/Neurodivergence, Trauma informed care, Justice Involved Pediatric patients.
Training with Diverse Patient Populations
Residents train in diverse settings with diverse patient populations including:
- Ben Taub Hospital and Outpatient Psychiatry Clinics
- Harris Health Community Clinics
- Alliance Clinic for International Trauma Survivors
- Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center
- Harris County Jail
- Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD
- Legacy Community Health