The FORGE Study, standing for Furthering OCD Research through GEnetics, is a study of the potential genetic risk factors associated with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). If you or your child have had or think you might have OCD, we invite you to take our survey. To learn more about this study, please browse this site.
This project has received ethical approval by Baylor College of Medicine Institutional Review Board (IRB) (Approval Number: H-51746). General inquiries can be directed to the research team at FORGEStudy@bcm.edu.
What is FORGE?
This study involves genomic analysis to identify variants that may cause OCD with the primary goal of discovering mutations in genes that are contributing to mental illness. If found, these mutations may eventually lead to new treatment mechanisms, improved and more objective diagnostic tools, and further research opportunities.
We are recruiting individuals throughout the United States who are English-speaking, between the ages of 8-65+, and who have had past or current symptoms suspicious of OCD. Interested participants will answer questions about their experience with OCD and provide a saliva sample for DNA.
- Step 1 - Consent: Understand the research study and confirm your willingness to participate via consent on a secure platform.
- Step 2 – Clinical Interview: Assuming you meet all eligibility requirements, you will be scheduled for an interview (either in-person at the OCD Clinic or virtual via Zoom video call) to be conducted by an experienced assessor. You will be asked to answer questions about you, your OCD symptoms, and how they affect you.
- Step 3 – Saliva Collection: Provide a saliva sample either in-person or via an at-home collection kit (we mail you the kit and you would then mail the sample back in an enclosed pre-paid reply envelope).
- Step 4 – Compensation: Once all elements of the study are completed and your saliva sample has been collected and/or returned to BCM, you will be eligible for $50 in compensation.
- Between the ages of 8-65+
- Past or current symptoms suspicious of OCD – or is a first degree relative of an individual who meets the above requirements and is also participating in our study
How to Enroll
- Complete our eligibility survey (approximately 5 minutes)
- Assuming you meet eligibility requirements, a study team member will reach out to schedule your interview (either in-person or virtual via Zoom video call)
- Provide consent for yourself or your child (minors under 18 years old)
- Send a DNA sample through the mail using our Saliva Kit (or if your visit is in-person, this will be conducted at that time as well)
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Us Today!
Thank you for your interest in the FORGE Study at Baylor College of Medicine! Please let us know if you are interested in learning a bit more. We would be happy to set up a call to provide additional information!
Email us: FORGEStudy@bcm.edu