Our Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) specialists are nationally recognized for their care and treatment of high-risk pregnancies and the outcomes achieved for mothers and babies.
A pregnancy is considered high-risk if it involves a condition that poses a threat to the health of the mother or fetus, increasing the need for close monitoring and ongoing evaluation.
Examples of high-risk pregnancies include those involving:
- A pre-existing condition in the mother, such as high blood pressure or diabetes
- A condition that develops during pregnancy in the mother or fetus, such as placenta accreta
- Fetal abnormalities
- A history of pregnancy complications
- Multiples (twins, triplets or higher-order multiples)
- Advanced maternal age
Our specialists are experienced in treating the full spectrum of high-risk pregnancies, from common conditions to life-threatening complications and critically ill babies.
We work closely with other specialties mother and baby may need, coordinating the multidisciplinary care necessary for the healthiest possible pregnancy and the best possible outcomes.
Specialized Care for Mothers and Unborn Babies
Our maternal-fetal medicine services include:
- Expert evaluations, consultations, and specialized obstetric care throughout pregnancy and delivery
- Advanced imaging (ultrasound and/or MRI) for the most accurate diagnosis
- Preconception counseling for women with medical conditions or a history of pregnancy complications
- Specialized programs for high-risk pregnancies involving maternal heart conditions, placenta accreta spectrum, or multiples
- Genetic counseling, testing and diagnosis through Baylor’s department of Molecular and Human Genetics
- Fetal therapy and surgery
For pregnancies involving fetal abnormalities, our specialists provide state-of-the-art fetal care, therapy and surgery at Texas Children’s Fetal Center, one of the oldest and most experienced fetal programs in the nation.
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Locations
We provide patient care at Texas Children’s Hospital Pavilion for Women, our main location, and at maternal-fetal medicine clinics located throughout the greater Houston area.