The ability to interact and communicate effectively is essential to establishing and maintaining an effective mentoring relationship.
Assertive Communication is clear, direct and respectful. Both mentors and mentees benefit from speaking assertively which supports getting their needs met and maintains healthy relationships
- Being Assertive: Reduce Stress, Communicate Better: Mayo Clinic article on recognizing and learning assertive communication and behavior
- Being Assertive In A Multicultural World: Brochure by The University of Illinois Counseling Center addressing racial and cultural factors affecting the use and interpretation of assertive behavior.
- Assertiveness - Speaking Up in the Lab and in Life: NIH OITE primer on assertive communication and techniques
Feedback provides you the opportunity to acknowledge your mentee’s strengths and support your mentee to work on areas of weakness.
- Giving Feedback - Communication Skills Training from MindTools.com: Article covering the main points of giving feedback effectively
- What Research Says About Giving Effective Feedback to Students: Article from INSIDESEL Social & Emotional Learning reviewing current knowledge and best practice in providing feedback within educational settings
- Thanks for the Feedback: The Science and Art of Receiving Feedback Well: Douglas Stone and Sheila Heen, Penguin, March 31, 2015 (Book)
At the heart of active listening is the ability to stay focused on the speaker with a desire to comprehend their situation, respond thoughtfully, and offer support as needed which together builds trust.
- Listen Actively: To Be Heard, Listen First: Guide on active listening produced by BCM’s Ombuds
- Infographic: 5 Steps to Listen Actively: Produced from BCM Ombuds’ guide Listen Actively: To Be Heard, Listen First
- Active Listening from MindTools.com: Article covering the main points of practicing active listening
Being able to address situations by managing our emotions and speaking assertively helps when having challenging conversations and addressing conflict.
- Speak Frankly: A Straightforward Approach to Tackle Tough Issues: Guide to navigating tough issues and conflict produced by BCM’s Ombuds
- Infographic: 6 Steps to Speak Frankly: Produced from BCM Ombuds’ guide Speak Frankly: A Straightforward Approach to Tackle Tough Issues
- Manage Emotions: Seven Tips: Guide with tips on managing emotions during conflict produced by BCM’s Ombuds
- Infographic: 7 Tips to Manage Emotions: Produced from BCM Ombuds’ guide Manage Emotions: Seven Tips
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes are High. Third Edition. Joseph Grenny, Kerry Patterson, Ron McMillan, Al Switzler, and Emily Gregory, McGraw Hill, October 21, 2021 (Book)